Below is my goal for my Unraid / Plex Media Build. I was hoping to get some suggestions on the best cpu/mobo combo for my needs. I’m also looking for a inexpensive GPU as well that will meet and exceed my needs. I would prefer a new Intel 5 or possibly a Ryzen 3000
Below is what I am trying to accomplish with my Unraid Server.
Server Task :
- Primary Task - Media Server (Plex/Kodi)
- Secondary Task - Cloud, Backup, VM, Retro Gaming.
Primary Task Details:
- Media Library – Storage for all Media (Movies, TV shows, Music, EBooks, Photos)
- Media Management –Media Grabbers/Metadata add-ons (Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/Jackett)
- Torrents/Usenet Clients - Torrents and Newsgroups clients (Qbittorrent, SABnzbd,Nzbget)
- Plex Server – 2-3 transcode streams simultaneously, mostly direct (local content to media player)
- Kodi – My primary media player at the moment (might use Plex plugin for Kodi).
Secondary Task Details:
- Games – Retro/Roms (SNES, Genesis, etc.) Would like to store Roms on server and remote play.
- Personal Cloud – Personal Cloud storage (Nextcloud or owncloud)
- VPN –I might setup a VPN on a 2nd router that would be hardwired to the Raid box; is there a better practice? Otherwise I would install OpenVPN or something similar.
- Backup –Backup primary pc files.
- Virtual Machines –Most likely just 1 Windows VM running, new to VM so would like to play around.
Plug-Ins/Dockers (Not complete):
- Plex Server
- Torrent client (Qbittorrent or Binhex DelugeVPN container?)
- A backup add-on (Crashplan or similar)
- Mopidy/Mopify or Subsonic/Madsonic
- Nginx & LetsEncrypt
NVidia Shield TVRoku Media Players TCL Roku TVs
- 300Mbps/30Mbps Broadband
- Cat5e/6 to all devices (using switch w/ MOCA 2.5 adapter for remote locations); will move to direct ethernet cat6 & ubiquiti aps.
- Uptime 24/7