[Guide] Updating your LSI SAS Controller with a UEFI Motherboard

Well, the 9200-16e only comes in IT mode, but you’re on a super old firmware version. The latest is P20 (20.00.07.00), and you really should update to the latest before you use the card. There were some bugs in earlier versions that could cause data loss.

Ok…yeah I’m not using it in “production” just yet so I’ll get around to flashing it when I get some time.

TLDR: semi-related

I was toying with using it in this Advantech motherboard I got a few months ago (AIMB-272). It’s a very quirky board that seems to lose it’s cmos when there is no power…I’ve replaced the battery with one I believe was good but I guess I’ll go buy a new one to be sure. It’s not giving me battery errors anymore but it’s still losing it’s memory with no ac power.

On POST it will fire up for about 10 seconds…then stop, then restart and take off and go…sometimes it gives a screen and sometimes not. The beeps sometimes seem normal…sometimes more pronounced suggesting some kind of erratic problem. It’s weird. It’s as if it thinks it’s got new hardware changes every time it boots but the cmos reset jumper is set correctly. At this point I’ve just been tinkering with it to determine if it’s usable/sellable, or just put it away in a drawer. It’s 2nd gen intel and I wouldn’t mind putting a i7-2710qe in it if I could get into one cheap. It would be a low power 4c/8t Unraid at that point…just bat $hit crazy.

Edit: flashed successfully…thanks for the detailed instructions

omg i was so frustrated with this, thanks so much man! I bought these off amazon and was able to find the bios stuff and installed one on an older machine after a ton of headache but couldnt get them to work on my newer machines…thanks so much!

1 Like

Just to confirm, I have the SAS9201-8i so I need to download the SAS2008 Firmware linked above?

It’s bit confusing because that download link says it’s firmware for 9210-8i.

Yes, that’s the correct firmware. Anything that uses the SAS2008 chipset, including the 9201-8i, 9210-8i and 9211-8i, can use that same firmware image.

1 Like

9206-16e Firmware Link
https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/12354745

Are you saving this for later?

1 Like

Hello all,

I’m building my first NAS and I’m having problems with the LSI 9207-8i card I got from amazon.
The green led is flashing so I know it’s getting power. It doesn’t show in bios. Tried the FreeDOS bootstick with sas2flsh. When I try the -listall command I get PAL error. I then tried it with the efi shell and it says the following: “ShellApp: Application not started from Shell”. I’m at my wit’s end now.

Does this mean the card is a dud and I got ripped off?

Noob looking for help :slight_smile:

Edit: figured it out. Apparently needs a specific branch version of the shellx64

This guide saved me from getting an aneurysm. Can’t express my gratitude enough, thanks!

Also small note: my card’s sas address started with ‘56C’, not 500.

I post in this thread because some people looks to know about firmware and flashing.
Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

I have a DELL T7910 with a built in LSI 3008 controller.
I use UEFI, No legacy bios and secure boot.
I found a new Firmware in the for this computer relevant download on DELL Support, marked as valid for this computer according to service tag.,
I updated the firmware, without checking what version was alrady on it. Sorry…
It is a Ph15 relase I flashed now
No errormessages, the command to flash was:
sas3flash_x64.exe -o -f T7910_LSISAS3008.fw -b mptsas3.rom -b mpt3x64.rom
However it took very long time to reset the adapter.
After a reboot I can no longer boot into windows. It cannot find any HDD.
I have from UEFI choises to go to BIOD or device setup. I tried device setup but it only led me to Intel NIC. Not to the SAS controller.
DELL dignose report it cannot find my HDD’s
After I went to BIOS and found it cannot find any hardrive there. I then turned of secure boot.
After a reboot, the adapter is there, working. Diagnose now find my harddrive.
Rebooting and windows boots.
Rebooting, inte BIOS and turn on secure boot.
Once again UEFI do not accept the 3008 controller.
Turning off secure boot, it works.
What am I missing here? Is this firmware not certified for UEFI? Is there a way to tell UEFI it is valid, to enable secure boot? Or, is it a fault firmware package DELL have?
Info about the firmware as follow.

I hope some of you know more about this issue. And, yes I am not familiar with UEFI, nor the new SAS controllers.
Many years ago I worked with SCSI, so my knowledge is a bit old.
Sorry if I missed something elementary here.

Yes it is IR. I do not understand what I would gain with reflash it to IT. Currently I do not use the RAID. All drives is unconfiguered. So I want it to work as a HBA and report drives to my motherboard.
I plan on buying a SAS 9361-8i to the day I begin configure drives for RAID.
I bought this computer as second hand some weeks ago, hence my efforts to update BIOS and firmware, it was untouched and I have a habit of updating things like this when I buy a second hand computer. This time, it almost worked.
Is there a newer recomended firmware for this? On DELL support pages I found no newer.
And yes, DELL claim on their support site that they have dropped the support for this model from this year.
Also, the T7910 do not have a choise for UEFI shell when I boot.

Edit:
After spent some time on Broadcom firmware page. Is it as simple as DELL copy the non-signed UEFI firmware into its package? They have repackage the archive and do not have the folders Broadcom have in their relase.
Is it safe to asume DELL do not modify somthing else? Is it possible to downgrade if I try Broadcoms own and something goes wrong?
Lots of question, sorry.

An update to my previous post.
I tried the latest Broadcom firmware.
I selected the signed version and now my secure boot works as it should. Good.
Now it present itself as SAS9311-8i and not LSISAS3008IR, I can live with that :wink:
There was only two versions in broadcom package: SAS9300IT and SAS9311IR and I wanted to keep the IR funtionality. I belevie this is why it now present as 9311-8i
But it no longer understand it is an Internal (Integrated) board. And the computers own Diagnose cannot find any harddrives, despite computers BIOS list them. Not a big issue, I do not use computers diagnose other then in this case when it refuses to start the computer after the first firmware flash.
Also as a sidenote, sas3flash -sasaddhi is not needed, it retains the adress trough the flash process.
So, I consider my computer as working.
Is there any knowledge about a internal LSISAS3008 for Integrated use in existance (For this version)?
It does not really matter becasue the computer works, that is what matters.
But it would be nice to have the feeling of a 100% factory working computer.
How about HIjacking the 3008IR Firmware (3008_FW_PH16.00.10.00.zip) from Sumpermicro? Bad idea?
I do not know if they use signed firmware or not.

Current (after flash) version.

On the 9200-8e I found the firmware that was dated May 2016. I couldn’t find anything newer but just wondered if there is anything I was missing. It took the update to P20.

P20 is the latest firmware for the 2008/2308-based cards, and it has been out for a few years now so that date sounds accurate.

Hi guys. Got an IBM Serveraid M1115. Can I use this guide for flashing it to IT mode?

Thank you, OP.
Your guide worked perfectly on my LSI SAS 9211-8i paired with a ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA.

So this one is a little different, I’m using a 9200-16e and I have had it inside of a HighPoint 6661A enclosure for several years now using it over Thunderbolt 3.

I just upgraded to a new machine that has Thunderbolt 4 and I can’t get Windows to acknowledge the device exists. I can see the HighPoint in Thunderbolt Control Center, but not the SAS card.

It has signed UEFI P20 in it. Any ideas from anyone? It works great on my older TB 3 machines.

I have no idea. Wish I could help somehow.

Is there any reason not to use the Windows installer if it’s available for your card?

The Windows installer works for updating a similar type of firmware (IT → IT or IR → IR) but does not work for reflashing, such as IR → IT.

1 Like