[Guide] pfblockerNG Setup (pfSense Adblocking)

:stop_sign:

:warning: :warning: :warning: This guide was written for pfSense 2.4.x with pfblockerNG 2.1.x. As of pfblockerNG v3.1.0 and later, included with pfSense v2.5.2 and later, this guide is now obsolete. pfblockerNG 3.x.x and up is a complete overhaul both visually and under the hood. The steps in the guide are no longer valid and cannot be followed. It is provided from here on as an archival copy only.

Introduction

This guide will get you started with blocking ads on your pfsense router using a package (plugin) called pfblockerNG. This package is functionally similar to the popular standalone tool ‘pihole,’ with the added bonus of integrating directly with your pfsense router. It’s a much more robust solution than just using adblocking extensions in your browser (though we will cover that, along with added benefits of combining the two, later on).

With pfblockerNG you can ensure that ads will be blocked across your entire home network. You can use prebuilt ‘EasyLists’ and also subscribe to popular user maintained blocklists. We will cover setting up both. pfblockerNG is also smart enough to handle the overlap from duplicate entries in the routing table, so don’t worry if your selected lists might have matching entries.

0. Prerequisites

Before we get started, we will need to edit the firewall to handle the increased amount of Firewall Table Entries for these lists. Without increasing this value, DNS queries take much longer, causing webpages to load very slowly.

1. Navigate to System / Advanced / Firewall & NAT and locate Firewall Maximum Table Entries. The default value for this setting is 400000. You can safely set it to 2000000 for the purpose of this guide.

Realistically you can set it much higher, but be weary of setting this too high as it directly uses more RAM the higher you set it. Tested on 4GB of RAM, my own fairly basic install sits idle at ~25% RAM in use. YMMV depending on your config and workload.

:warning: Note:

pfblockerNG only functions with the DNS Resolver service active. It will not function with the DNS Forwarder service active. If you need DNS Forwarding functionality, I highly recommend enabling forwarding mode in the DNS Resolver service. Click here for more info.

1. Install pfblockerNG

1. Navigate to System / Package Manager / Available Packages and locate pfblockerNG. Click The Install button and wait for it to complete.

2. Enable pfblockerNG

By default, all packages are disabled after installation.

1. Navigate to Firewall / pfBlockerNG / General and check the box for Enable pfBlockerNG.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button.

3 - Set The Cron Update Schedule

1. On the same tab, locate CRON Settings. Set the desired frequency interval to update your block list(s).
    I find once a day is ideal.

4. Enable DNSBL

1. Navigate to Firewall / pfBlockerNG / DNSBL and check the box for Enable DNSBL. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button.
2. Optional: TLD (click me)

TLD: Top-Level Domain

If you have a lot of RAM (see memory usage details below), you may wish try out a beta feature called TLD. This setting enables additional processing to block ALL sub-domains for advanced blocking. For example, a list with forums.serverbuilds.net would also result in serverbuilds.net and all of it’s subdomains being blocked with TLD enabled. Please note that TLD is a beta feature of pfsense.

1. Locate DNSBL Firewall Rule - If you only have one LAN interface, leave this setting unchecked and proceed to Step 5.
    If you have multiple LAN interfaces, select each interface to protect and then check the box.

:warning: TLD greatly increases memory usage!

Using more and/or heavier custom block lists will increase the amount of RAM needed for DNS resolution to function properly. Without enough RAM for TLD, you may experience errors and slow or failed webpage loading.

Reference total domains to determine how much RAM to allocate for TLD. Please note that the table below is a guideline for RAM amount needed ONLY for the TLD processing, NOT total amount of system RAM.

TLD Domain Limit Restrictions:

RAM Domains
< 1.0GB RAM Max 100k Domains
< 1.5GB RAM Max 150k Domains
< 2.0GB RAM Max 200k Domains
< 2.5GB RAM Max 250k Domains
< 3.0GB RAM Max 400k Domains
< 4.0GB RAM Max 600k Domains
< 5.0GB RAM Max 1.0M Domains
< 6.0GB RAM Max 1.5M Domains
< 7.0GB RAM Max 2.5M Domains
> 7.0GB RAM > 2.5M Domains

5. Setup EasyLists

1. Navigate to Firewall / pfBlockerNG / DNSBL and click the DNSBL EasyList tab. Set DNS Group Name, and Description to anything you’d like, for example “Easylist.”
  2. Set EasyList Feeds to:
    • State: ON
    • EasyList Feed: EasyList w/o Elements
    • Header/Label: Easylist
  3. Highlight each category by selecting each one (CTRL + Click to select multiple).
  4. Set List Action to Unbound.
  5. Set Update Frequency to be at least as often as your cron update schedule in Step 3.
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button.

6. Setup Custom Lists

For this step, I had previously provided only a single, popular, user maintained list found on reddit, which has now moved to it’s own hosted domain. You can find site and info here and the list here. This list is what I found to work best for me, but because no blocklist is perfect, I encourage you to do research and find what works best for you. There is no one size fits all.

Here is a well maintained source of lists. Please read the page and descriptions to understand what might work best for your needs. Alternatively, feel free to research and add your own favorite block lists from other sources for this step.

1. Navigate to Firewall / pfBlockerNG / DNSBL and click the DNSBL Feeds tab.
  2. Click the +Add button.
  3. Set DNS GROUP Name and Description to anything you’d like, for example “Custom.”
  4. Set DNSBL to:
    • Format: Auto
    • State: ON
    • Source: [Your block list URL]
    • Header/Label: Custom Name
  5. Set List Action to Unbound
  6. Set Update Frequency to be at least as often as your cron update schedule in Step 3.
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button.

Repeat Steps 6.1 through 6.7 for each additional list you add. Please keep in mind adding more lists may impact performance and can vary with each list.

7. Update Lists

Updates are run on the schedule set in Step 3. However, the first one must be initiated manually to take effect immediately.

1. Navigate to Firewall / pfBlockerNG / Update. Click the radio button for “Update” and click the Run button.
  2. Observe the log viewer as the update processes and allow it a couple minutes to finish.

And that’s it! …almost

After the initial update, you should notice ads are now being blocked in your browser. Anandtech.com is a well laid out site to test. You should be well on your way to adblocked nirvana…

:warning: But wait, it’s still ugly!

You’ve probably noticed by now, ads that are blocked leave behind the spaces set aside for them. This looks especially bad on some sites, or is just distracting. Here’s where combining adblock efforts with a browser extension are still particularly useful.

Some Adblock Extensions, like uBlock Origin, have a built in feature called Cosmetic Filtering. This is for rearranging websites with blocked ads to look more natural, as if the ad never existed. It really helps clean up the spaces left behind on most sites.

The added benefit here is that pfsense is now tackling the adblock workload, leaving your browser extension free to process cosmetic filtering much faster. Most, if not all ads will never even reach your browser. Here are comparison shots:

1. No Adblocking (click me)

2. pfblockerNG only (click me)

3. pfblockerNG + uBlock Origin Cosmetic Filtering (click me)

tl;dr - Simply install uBlock Origin to make websites pretty again. Have your cake and eat it too.

And thats it! No really, that’s all there is to it!

14 Likes

I haven’t tweaked mine yet, but after installing pfblockerNG via other instructions, I’m unable to access SnapChat stories on Android. Hopefully after following your instructions I’ll be back up and running.

Edit: I also am using the pfBlockerNG-devel version so the labels are different for settings.

Probably depends on what block list you’re using.

@COZisBack so just a heads up, and for anyone else who may come across this, I did some tinkering around, and it was driving me nuts…

I was trying to whitelist some sites, in my case it was AliExpress, that dnsbl was blocking images on aliexpress and even after adding the url’s for the images, it still wasn’t allowing the images.

The fix I found was that after I added the whitelist sites I wanted and saved them, I had to disable dnsbl, save again, go to update and force run an update, then go back and re enable dnsbl, save, and once again perform a forced update run.

I tried it with a few sites and it worked for me Everytime, idk if it’s a bug within pfblockerng itself, or pfsense, but just a heads up for anyone else who may come across this.

COZ, for your case, you’d have to figure out what domains Snapchat stories are served as I reckon, I tried a quick Google search but didn’t find any exact answers, most were for the ads themselves to block, but if you figure out what exactly is getting blocked, add it to the whitelist using my instructions and you should be good.

Thanks, I figured it out a little while back. One of my lists was blocking many social media sites entirely.

Do you know which list if was?

Not offhand, sorry.

Ahh gotchya, no worries

I haven’t had any issues with AliExpress with the example list + built in lists.

I have a bunch of lists from elsewhere I grabbed, I think I’m going to ditch them however as they’re pretty extreme. They block alot of things I use on the daily. May try out yours in your write-up and play it by ear

After the example list went belly up, I updated the guide, specifically Step 6, to encourage people to research and decide their own list(s) to use as needed.

1 Like

Possibly worth mentioning changing the virtual IP used for DNSBL?

The default won’t be an issue for most people, but I ended up pretty much DoS’ing my own router when I tried setting this up the other night because it was my router’s IP. After I changed to an IP that isn’t used in my network, everything has been working swimmingly.

I’m not sure I follow. Can you give an example? I’ve created this guide assuming the defaults are set, so I was unaware of this issue.

I think it’s probably not an issue for most people, but I use 10.10.10.1 as my router IP, which is the default virtual IP used as the target for DNSBL.

When I turned DNSBL on without changing that, it basically redirected everything that was blocked back to my router, and I guess either DoS’d myself with blocked ads, or ended up with some sort of loop. Either way, I couldn’t access the router at all and had to revert my config from the console.

So I think it’s not a common thing, but just a minor gotcha if you’re using that as your router IP.

Good info. I’ll look at adding a section for this.

This is a great article, I love the ease of setup, however, my problem is that I’m using a bridge to connect all of my interfaces together and I don’t necessarily see any rules (floating or not) that would seem to indicate that the traffic is being blocked.

Testing out on Anandtech also seems to still show ads, any helpful tips?

Why are you using a bridge to connect all of your interfaces together?

I want to have them all grab addresses from a single subnet

I don’t recommend this type of configuration, and I’m not sure how to make it work with this setup, sorry.