[Guide] NAS Killer 6.0 - DDR4 is finally cheap

Nvme drives have arrived

What did you use to retain your second M.2 drive? Mine only came with one plastic retainer.

Edit: I ended up ordering 10 retainters on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4T8S6S6/

Hello, I have the above parts in a nas that was assembled by a local computer store. Unfortunately, unraid isn’t recognizing my drives. I have 2 x 4TB drives and 1 x 10TB drive attached to the HBA. The only drive I see is the 1TB ssd and I added it as a cache drive. I tried booting into BIOS settings but the hdmi doesn’t work and now I can’t get back into unraid. I am an absolute newcomer to this if it wasn’t already obvious. I don’t have the ability to use vga or dvi. Is there a way for me to get the bios settings onto a screen without those? Also, anyone have any ideas why I can’t see my drives? Thanks in advance!!

Hi and welcome to Serverbuilds.

Just a quick heads-up; While your motherboard does support ECC memory, unfortunately your i5 CPU does not support ECC. The server will work without issue but you won’t get the benefit of ECC. For ECC support you will either have to go down to an 8th / 9th gen i3 or step up to an Xeon E-2100 / E-2200. The latter of which seem to have become unreasonably expensive.

As for your actual question, I don’t have any experience with the ASR-7805, but a couple of questions that come to mind are:

1. Is the card flashed into IT mode? or is it still set up as a RAID card?
  2. Are you able to see the drives if you switch into the HBA firmware during boot?
1 Like

Thanks Ian! I appreciate you letting me know about ECC memory and my CPU not supporting it. I should’ve posted the build before purchasing everything. Guess I’ll keep an eye out for a good deal on one of the CPU’s you mentioned. I’ll get some use out of the i5 in the meantime. What is the best CPU out of the ones you mentioned?

I couldn’t see anything unfortunately because I only have a monitor that accepts hdmi. I took it back to the shop and they’re hopefully going to help me out with a solution. Is it possible to get the hdmi port on the motherboard working? Or what is the best solution to get bios settings up on a screen? Guess I could add a cheap gpu but I’d like to put that money towards more hard drives.

Thank you so much for your response!

1 Like

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to remove the permanently installed backplate.

There are plenty of CPU coolers that are backplate compatible. You can reference this list: [Official] CPU Heatsink Recommendations

I think we can distinguish between the inner and outer backplate “ring”. The outer backplate was easily removable. Using a heater should make removal even easier. Now, I can use coolers with different, more stable backplates instead of the one pre-installed. Are there technical reasons why removing the outer backplate ring could cause problems? In my unprofessional analysis, I didn’t observe any technical limitations.

Maybe not smart, but in my case all seemed well as all is running fine.

In many many situations, boards have very permanent backplates which will almost certainly ruin the board if removal is attempted. I looked around and it appears that yours had a secondary backplate - the ring around what looks to be the permanent one - which I guess was removable. For example, I believe many 2011-0 boards had very permanent backplates which included cooler mounting screw-holes, which I think is what we usually think of when someone mentions ripping off the backplate.
Glad your board seems to have survived

Yeah, I am also happy that my stupidity and impatience did not cause issues. :crossed_fingers:
Although the seller told me, its fine to remove it.

The video out on the X11SCA-F defaults to the BMC attached to the VGA port which is why you are not getting anything via HDMI. You can change the settings in the BIOS to switch the default video device to the iGPU on your CPU which will utilize the HDMI port.

If you have a monitor that supports VGA or a cable or an adapter that goes from VGA to HDMI then you can enter the BIOS setup and change the settings like you would on any other motherboard.

If you don’t have anything that can plug into a VGA port then you have another option. The -F in the X11SCA-F indicates that the motherboard has the IPMI feature which will let you control all aspects of the system including BIOS setup over the network.

How to Connect to IPMI

Connect the i210 nic “Lan2” (the black one) to your network and the BMC should get an IP address via DHCP. You can log into your router and check the “DHCP Leases” section (or something like that) to see the IP address it received. Once you have the IP address you can connect to that IP address in a web browser and you should get to the login screen for the IPMI. The default user / pass is ADMIN / ADMIN. If you are lucky you will have access to the IPMI and you can remote control the system.

If the password is not the default then you will need to boot an OS and use Supermicro’s IPMI Tools to reset the password. Here is a guide on that.

Change BIOS Settings

Once you are in the BIOS setup you can switch the default video device:

Under the “Advanced” menu → “Chipset Configuration” → “System Agent (SA) Configuration” → “Graphics Configuration”

Change “Primary Display” from “Auto” to “IGFX” and change “Internal Graphics” from “Auto” to “Enabled”.

Restart the system and you should now get video out via HDMI and your CPUs iGPU.

1 Like

Thank you so much Ian! I’m going to try everything you’ve recommended and report back tomorrow. Having a young family doesn’t leave a lot of time for hobbies and trouble shooting. lol. Your post is incredibly helpful though! I appreciate you taking the time to break everything down! :grinning:

Hopefully your IPMI password is set to the default ADMIN / ADMIN. If that is not the case you might be able to get the password from the seller of the board, maybe.

If you can’t log into the IPMI it gets a little more complicated. Normally you can follow the guide from STH to reset the password, but that could be a bit difficult if you don’t have any video out. In that case you may need to install Linux on a drive, install the ipmi tools, and enable sshd. Then you can attach the drive to your board and let it boot off the drive headless and ssh in to reset the IPMI password.

Or maybe just find someone with an older monitor that takes VGA in that you can borrow for a little bit.

Good luck!

If case this wasn’t mentioned, the board also has a jumper to enable or disable video output. Flipping the jumper enabled video output via HDMI/DP for me. I would also recommend flipping it, even if it is in the “Enabled” state, just to be sure.

Screenshot from the manual:

When you can boot into the bios, applying these settings made IPKVM work for me:

• Chipset configuration
    • Graphics Configuration
      • System Agent (SA) Configuration
        • Primary Display: PCI
        • Internal Graphics: Enabled
    • PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration
      • Onboard Video Option ROM: EFI

1 Like

Writing the username and password in uppercase is important btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great guide! I’ve been looking at parts and shopping around the past few days. Below are the full parts I ended up with. It’s all in carts ready to check out. May sit on it for a day or two and see if anyone has some feedback. :slight_smile:

Case: JONSBO N2
MB: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU: Intel i5-8500T
RAM: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) 3200MHz
Heatsink: ID-Cooling IS-40X
PSU: Apevia SFX-AP5550W Mini ITX
HDD: Seagate BarraCude 4TB x4
Samsung Fash drive for UnRaid
SATAIII cables

Let me know what you all think. Hopefully, I don’t get too impatient and just check out. haha

What unbuffered ECC memory did you use in the X11SCA-F ? I will be using my build for TrueNAS Scale.

I found out my registered ECC memory does not work with this motherboard.

I ended up buying Micron DIMMs new from Crucial: Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 CL22 | MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2R | Crucial.com

Not sure if it still works but at one point you could get 10% off using the code “CRUCIAL10”

However any DDR4 Unbuffered DIMMs rated for 2666Mhz or faster should work with the board.

I would prefer to have found something cheaper used, but at the time that was just the least expensive Unbuffered ECC memory I could find.

Thanks for the link. The discount code still works but a bit different format: 10CRUCIAL

Hey, just putting together a parts list for a build following this guide. I noticed the “suggested” motherboard X11SCQ in Motherboards for sale | eBay is now going for $230 on ebay (vs the $75 it’s priced at in the guide). Is there a reason its price jumped up so much? Should I just look for a different board in the list in the OP? Or scrap the entire OP list and look for my own?

You should look for a different board.

It would be a reasonable deal at $75, but there is nothing particularly special about the board and no reason to pay more than other Socket 1151 V2 boards. The main criteria should be that it supports 8th / 9th gen Intel processors and has enough SATA ports and PCIe slots for your needs.

The step-up board the Supermicro X11SCA-F is more consistently available at $100, but if you don’t care about ECC memory or IPMI then just get the least expensive Socket 1151 V2 board you can find that meets your needs.