[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

Can I use non ECC memory with a Xeon processor?

That motherboard and CPU do not support registered memory. Intel reserves that for their Server platforms. This is a ā€œWorkstationā€ platform so it requires Unbuffered memory.

Yes you can use Non-ECC memory with the Xeon.

Hello, everyone. Iā€™ve been scouring this forum for ideas and learning so much. I think Iā€™ve nailed down my build. I am hoping to receive feedback on advice on what parts I am planning on using.

For starters, I am using an old computer I built as the base. Those parts will be as follows:

CPU: i5-4690k

Motherboard: MSI Z97A Gaming ATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8gb)

Here are the parts that I am planning on purchasing. Most of the parts have in some way or another been recommended, at least in the past.

HBA: 9207-8i -h310

SSD - Unraid files and cache: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB

Cache HDD: Toshiba MBF2600RC 600GB 10k rpm SAS drive

Storage: HGST HUH728080AL4200 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SAS 12Gb/s 3.5in Drive
Four total, one parity

Case: Cooler Master N400

PSU: EVGA 500 W1

Cables: CABLEDECONN Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors with SATA Power 1m

Case fans: ARCTIC P12, pack of 5

As mentioned under the SSD, I am planning on using Unraid as an OS. Use case is a media server (jellyfin) and personal storage. Is there anything I am missing or any tweaks that might improve the system? Thanks!

What is your locale? Have you considered the NAS Killer 6.0 build?

Hi! I am in California, US. I have thought about it. I was debating between 6.0 ad 5.0 but I figured I might save some money by reusing my parts in a 5.0 build. If the 6.0 is pretty big improvement, Iā€™m not opposed to it.

What is your pricing looking like for the listed parts? It seems like it should be fairly low cost.

Estimated cost is around $525 and that includes the storage. Using my old parts would mean that I would have to buy new parts for my main PC so there is most likely another $300 of parts that could be considered.