[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

I think you’ll find that any of those CPUs will be fine for NAS like tasks. My NAS has been running since 2014 on an AMD E1-2100 Dual Core (CPU Mark of 406). It runs plex server (no transcoding with a max of 1080p content), a torrent client, and some other LAN only webservers. I joined this site because it’s finally time to upgrade (can’t run Home Assistant).

1 Like

Yeah after shuffling around I think I’m going to end up using a slightly hacked together SFF Dell Optiplex 7020 with an I5 4590. Still trying to think out everything though. I would think that would be good from a processer standpoint especially with offloading plex transcoding to its own box. How big a role does ram play in a NAS box? Like is 8 gigs enough?

The 7020 can hold 1-2 hard drives depending on the model. Surely that’s not enough for a NAS, unless you have some other plans?

Yeah that is the hacked together part. It’s currently sitting in a bigger case with a different 430 watt power supply. To get it to work you have have the OEM front io panel, fan and power switch. The io panel is just sitting next to the MO hooked up and the power switch is mounted in a hole I drilled in the side of the case. I did this to fit a full size 1650 supper I have. Its been my main rig for a little while and works fairly well.

1 Like

Hi! I’m trying to follow this guide to build my NAS 5.0 system. It is my first build so am getting overwhelmed. I bought the ASRock B85PRO4 Motherboard and am trying to figure out where to install the ssd.

I bought HP SSD EX900 M.2 but i do not see M.2 slot in the board :frowning:

That’s because the motherboard does not have a M.2 slot. However, you can get an adapter.

PCIe → M.2

• JacobsParts adapter (link)
    • PCIe x4, x8, x16 (cuttable if needed)
    • M.2 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 support
    • No PCIe bracket needed for high/low profile
  • EZDIY-FAV adapter (link)
    • PCIe x4
    • M.2 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110 support
    • PCIe bracket for high/low profile
  • RIITop adapter (link)
    • Heatsink included
    • PCIe x4, x8, x16 (cuttable if needed)
    • No PCIe bracket needed for high/low profile
  • ULANSeN adapter (link)
    • PCIe x4
    • PCIe bracket for high/low profile
  • Asus Hyper M.2 x16 adapter (link)
    • supports 4x NVMe
      • Requires PCIe bifurcation support
    • PCIe x16
    • M.2 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110 support
    • High profile only

I recommend the JacobsParts adapter.

Thank you for the quick reply! Would it be better to return the M.2 SSD and get a regular 2.5" SATA SSD? I still have a 10 day return window i can take advantage of. Just making sure i keep everything compatible with each other and there’s no issues.

What software do you plan on running?

I’m just going to run Plex on it, no other servers. I’m planning on getting the Unraid OS and running everything using dockers. The other applications it’ll run are the sonarr, radarr and all related apps for gathering media. I will be using it mostly to Direct play, with 3 - 4 transcoding streams for friends.

If you’re running Unraid OS, you’ll have no problem with using a NVMe adaptor. It’s what I would recommend anyway!

Thank You! Ordering the JacobsParts adapter. I will post progress again here soon!

1 Like

Hi! I ordered the Riitek instead, as it had 1 day delivery. I installed everything using various youtube videos. But i do not see any display on powering it on. I might have missed a step.
Do you have any idea on what i should do?

What CPU and RAM?

I have the Intel i5 4670K SR14A 3.4 GHz CPu

and US 2x8GB PC3-12800U DDR3-1600Mhz Ram

Are the RAM sticks populated in the correct slots?

Here’s how i put them.

@Baaz According to manual you should pair A1 mem slot with B1. You have it in A1 A2.

2 Likes

Thank You! I’m sorry for not posting any updates, I had to travel coz of work, but now am back and would post replies fast. And thanks for all the help! I hope It’s okay that the thread is getting so long, I hope it helps some other newbie like me.

I changed the ram but i still did not get any display when i turned it on. I removed my thermal fan to take more pics of Core placement and Ram. Is there any more pics i should take and share?

What is your thoughts why don’t need ECC? Reddit/Unraid forums seem to be split on it.

The only thing ECC really has the potential to hurt is your wallet.

For home media and general use, ECC with Unraid just isn’t necessary. If it would make you feel better, then feel free to use it. It might add to the motherboard, CPU, and RAM cost, though.