[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

I haven’t put it together yet. Still waiting for the mobo and case to arrive. I’m thinking about installing OpenMediaVault.

A HP 290 or HP S01. It would read files over the network from the NAS using the QuickSync guide.

Hello! I hope I am not breaking any rules but I have a few questions and to be honest I feel a bit lost and everything seems to be overwhelming at the moment.

Anyways, I am primarily looking to make a DIY (or pre build) NAS that can handle the following things:

• I want to install Plex, or something similar, for streaming movies or series. I need it to be able to handle 3/4 streams of 1080p at the same time or 3 4k streams at the same time.
  • I want to be able to back up my pictures and view them
  • I want to make an IMDB page where I can add series/movies and that it will download it automatically in the right quality and folder with the right subtitles. I already looked a bit into Sonarr and Radarr
  • It would be nice to add camera footage later on but not needed now.
  • I would like to keep it as power efficient as possible.

What hardware would I need for this? I tried reading up on a few threads here but I hear a lot of the HP 290 or for DIY builds that seem to vary a lot, from this guide to the following:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU: I5-9400T
RAM: TeamGroup Elite 1x16gb
SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 512gb

I find it hard to know what sort of hardware would be best suited for my needs while staying as power efficient as possible.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Hey @JDM_WAAAT - I’m looking at building on an ITX (to fit in a Fractal 304) and noted that the h81i-plus motherboard actually has 2 x SATA6 as well as the 2 x SATA3 that you note, making it a much stronger choice.

1 Like

IMO it shouldn’t matter too much as you’ll need to get another AIC anyway, but that’s a good point.

Great deal on an excellent motherboard for NAS Killer 5.0

Someone last year posted a similar build to the one below. Is this still sufficient for NAS or are there better options?

Tyan S5512
Xeon E3-1240V V2 3.4Ghz
32 GB Kingston ECC UDIMM
Coolermaster N400
EVGA Bronze 80 500W PSU
Antec P12 120MM fans
SSD

Thanks!
Corey

Yes, it’s still more than sufficient for most uses. What will you be using it for?

This will primarily be used as a NAS running Unraid. Would like to also possibly run a small VM or 2 but not sure if the hardware will support that with Unraid.

Unraid supports VMs. You’d be hard pressed to find hardware that doesn’t support VMs.

I understand it’s a NAS… what applications do you intend to run? What will your VMs be doing?

Looking to run Home Assistant and a small Linux VM.

You shouldn’t have a problem running any of those programs on that setup.

1 Like

Just an FYI for anyone reading this - the Intel C222 and C224 Chipsets do not support Intel integrated graphics, so do not buy a processor with an iGPU like I did and expect it to work.

So with the price of P 2000 dropping, does it worth switching to that on the Unraid server instead of having another PC running around? Specially if I don’t have many users transcoding simultaneously. And if so, how hard is to move the Plex data over (the user data)?

No, a uSFF PC for < $100 is still ideal. Cheaper, more reliable, and overall better.

Thanks JDM but what if that PC is running Win 10 instead of ubuntu

Why would it?

was just being lazy :frowning:

In the quicksync guide, I have it completely outlined how to install ubuntu + plex. It should take less than an hour to do so.

1 Like

Hi, Building my first NAS Killer 5 to replace a Synoloygy. The Synology works great, but I like to tinker and when I came across this Discord I couldn’t resist. Looks like prices have come way down on LGA 1150 gear since this guide was first published, although I have a feeling that over time the additional power draw is going to really eat into the cost aspect of it.

Here is what I’m working with so far:

Supermicro X10SLH-F - $30
Xeon E3-1271 V3 - $22
32 GB DDR3 1600 ECC - $48

Total so far: $100 + Tax and shipping on the Motherboard.

The memory was kind of expensive compared to the other parts, but I like to use ECC if the board supports it so here we are.

Also picked up some used 10TB SAS drives on ebay and I’m currently looking for a SAS card.

X520-DA2 10GB network - $50. I already had a couple of these, but they seem to go for about $50 used.

Any recommendations for an SFP+ card that draws less power? Maybe just one with a single SFP+ port since I don’t really need redundant networking.

What has not come down in price are Cases. Boy do they eat up any savings on the other components. I think at $149 I would have just picked up a RSV-L4500U but those are like $250 now and at that price I don’t think that case is worth it. Also looked at the Node 804 since the motherboard is micro-ATX, but even that is pretty pricey at $125. Space isn’t really an issue so I don’t need a smaller case, and it seems like there were a lot of compromises. Considering a Define R5 also for $125 which is an old case but I think better for my purposes than the Node 804.

There is always the CM N400 but even that is over $100 with tax and shipping.

Does anyone have any other case recommendations? Or a good place to get used cases?

Thanks!