[Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

What are you looking for help on?

I do have a combo 4.1 units and I was able to get my hands on a Hp290 when it was cheap!
Wondering if it makes sense to add a GPU to my Unraid and move Plex on there as well?
I never get more than 8 simultaneous transcoder so I can get away with a used GPU for $150ish!

• Will I be saving any power consumption?
  • Will I see upgrade in performance or that doesn’t matter?

If you already have an HP290 there is zero reason to get a GPU and move Plex onto your unraid server. Hardware transcoding using QuickSync on the HP will give you better results than using a GPU, and it’s going to be more a little more power efficient as well. The only reason to add a GPU to your unraid box now is if you’re going to add a gaming VM.

1 Like

Whatever happened to this? Do you ever figure out what was going on?

Yes! See: [Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals - #195 by RohitK

It was a warning that went away after changing the setting in the BIOS.

Hi everyone,

I started this build after receiving the Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m QUAD CORE E3-1240 3.3GHz 16GB RAM NO HDD and the disks from 3TB SAS disks that were in group buy.
I thought those 10 disks would perfectly fit into this server, But, I figured out that I cannot connect those SAS2 disk directly to the Chenbro server. So, as mentioned above in the post, I went ahead and bought 3 of these. They arrived today and now I see that I still cannot connect the disks because the motherboard doesn’t take the Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087. So, what would be a better move going forward?

• Should I just buy regular SATA disks and buy a server that takes these SAS2 disks later?
  • Or should I buy a SAS2 to SATA connectors like these

I would really appreciate any suggestions/help. I’m a software person dipping my toes in the hardware land so really don’t have much idea about the connectors.

Thanks.

The motherboard inside the Chenbro case is a Tyan S5512 which doesn’t use SAS SFF-8087 ports to connect the SAS hard drives to the motherboard but instead uses SATA ports. So I believe that the cables that you have already bought should be what you need.
Since all the drive connector ports on the motherboard are SATA you should make sure that you are connecting your drives to the correct ports for the type of drive it is. There are 2 groups of drive ports on the motherboard.

• The first group has 6 SATA ports (4 black & 2 blue) which are used for connecting SATA drives.
  • The second group has 8 SATA ports (all black) which are used for connecting SAS drives (but can be used for SATA drives also).

I hope that helps.

Thank you for the details. I finally was able to complete the build. I had bought the wrong cables instead of the ones I linked. I bought the cables I linked in the post above and now everything seems in order.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the tyan s5512 motherboard supports remote desktop like the one on microserver? I don’t have VGA port or cable and I don’t want to buy an adapter. What is the default username and password?

It does support video over network using IPMI. In my case, though, it was disabled in the BIOS settings that arrived. So I used a VGA monitor to enable it and now can access it over network. Find a friend with one? I ended up buying one locally for $12 used. Any VGA monitor should work.

I purchased the 1230v2 with 16GB in the past few weeks. I know some here got a 1270v2 instead. I actually received a 1230v2, which is fine but I thought I’d share.

I got this case with 6x3.5" and 3x5.25" slots for $43: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CY9TMFO/
I just slid my 2.5" SSD in the gap between a couple of 3.5" drives. I also added a 120mm fan to the front to get more airflow on the HDs.

I’m using the power supply that came with it. Gold efficiency is a requirement for me with high power costs. But right now it’s only secured by one screw. I’m planning on cutting out a square of sheet metal from the old server case, drilling some holes to match the ATX mount and mount/fan/cord holes for the supply (and maybe an extra 80mm fan if I can work it). We’ll see how steady my hand is with a Dremel.

That case is cheap. Just bought one. Thanks. Is it quiet?

I’m curious to know this as well.
I have a Z820 with a RAID controller onboard, LSI SAS2 2308, but no SAS ports.
In my next drive purchases, should I be looking for SAS drives instead of standard sata3 HDDs?

Having issues getting JViewer for the S5512 in the Tyan Combo to show a picture on my Catalina Mac. Just connects and shows 0 fps. Added Java Web Start and Java to both Accessibility and Input Monitoring in Privacy Options, but stumped on what to do now. Anyone else have this issue?

I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but I had the same problem on my Catalina Mac. I couldn’t get it to work. But on a Windows laptop it worked just fine. Not helpful, I know.

It seems quiet enough. I added another fan like the one it came with. The loudest part is the 1U server power supply every once in a while when it goes into ‘jet’ mode. Under normal loads it’s quiet. But once in a while it the supply gets loud. If noise is a concern, getting an ATX supply is probably worthwhile but I’m just too cheap and it sits in my garage, anyway.

Just wanted a build check on this version:

MB: S5512WGM2NR-B-CGN TYAN S5512 LGA1155 SYSTEM BOARD MOTHERBOARD FOR HYVE CYGNUS | eBay
eBay
S5512WGM2NR-B-CGN TYAN S5512 LGA1155 SYSTEM BOARD MOTHERBOARD FOR H…
Part Number S5512 / S5512WGM2NR-B-CGN. 1U RAIL KIT FOR HYVE SOLUTIONS ZEUS CYGNUS CHENBRO NR12000. Item Type ATX SYSTEM BOARD.

mugenstylus1Today at 2:39 PM
CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1220-3-1GHz-8MB-5-GT-s-SR00F-Socket-LGA-1155-CPU/254797776264?epid=109635008&hash=item3b53218588:g:2wgAAOSw7VpfyXc9
eBay
Intel Xeon E3-1220 3.1GHz 8MB/ 5 GT/s SR00F Socket LGA 1155 CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1220 3.1GHz 8MB/ 5 GT/s SR00F Socket LGA 1155 CPU in Computers/Tablets & Networking, Computer Components & Parts, CPUs/Processors | eBay

[2:41 PM]
Ram: Timetec Hynix IC 16GB Kit(2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC UDIMM | eBay
eBay
Timetec Hynix IC 16GB Kit(2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3-12800 Unbuffered…
Timetec Hynix IC 16GB Kit(2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CL11 2Rx8 Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM Server Memory Ram Module Upgrade (16GB Kit(2x8GB))This is another set. I have two sets available. If interested, please see both of my listings. Condition is “Used”. Shipped with FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery.

[2:43 PM]
Cpu Cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Gravity-Intel-Cooler-CLP0556-D/dp/B00O4UIZ86/ref=as_li_ss_tl?&linkCode=sl1&tag=serverforums-20&linkId=ca6ed762f536d4a784f33c3c5477c96c&language=en_US
[2:48 PM]
Case: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NSE-400-KKN2-Mid-Tower-Computer/dp/B00DKXXBU0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=cooler+master+n400&qid=1562792781&s=gateway&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=serverbuilds-20&linkId=7be3e647aff6b2075c02324f8df6528f&language=en_US

1 Like

I’m digging that dual-network card! :slight_smile:

I also like how you don’t have to deal with the chassis.

I am having trouble finding a good deal on 2x8GB ECC memory for this build. Any recommendations? Thank you! :slight_smile:

So the ipmi console redirection works after enable it in the BIOS? Can you share some detail on the
jnlp part? I tried to get that console redirection work for few days, but failed with

I’m using this script to workaround the malformated jnlp. But the application always ends up with this error.