[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

So I’m working on the Mini-ITX build and I have two 4GB Crucial modules which I know would work with the DQ77KB, but I’d like to get this 8GB stick so I can eventually expand. I noticed on Intel’s memory specifications for the DQ77KB that that board “does not support double-sided x16 SO-DIMMs.” I’m honestly not 100% sure what that means even after doing some reading around the internet, so I wanted to double-check that that 8GB stick would be okay. Thanks!

I ended up with a X9SCL+-F with an E3 1230v2. I’m rounding out my purchases now and am a little confused on the SSD recommendation. I haven’t run unRaid before and want to set it up effectively so should I have one large SSD (1TB) for unRaid and my applications and one smaller SSD (500GB) for cache and Plex metadata? I assume that whatever drive I install unRaid on has to be part of the RAID array and therefore can’t be installed on the SATA add-in card that is recommended? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help.

Typically, I would recommend a decent sized dedicated cache, and a dedicated (unassigned) SSD for AppData.

I’m not sure what your budget is, but you could probably get away with 500GB of each.

Unraid will boot off a usb drive and then run off ram.

2 posts were split to a new topic: NK 4.0 build feedback - fornstar124

A post was split to a new topic: NAS Killer 4.0 Build Feedback - giantrobot

A post was merged into an existing topic: NK 4.0 build feedback - fornstar124

I have been looking for a week or so on ebay going back and forth with looking at parts for building my own or the dell.
I ran across this listing today:

I thought the 225 was a bit high so offered 150, he countered 175, free shipping. After confirming that yes this was a good deal I jumped on it. I was ready to pull the trigger on all the parts to build my own but am glad I waited and ran across this. Set up an alert on ebay on what you are looking for and dont be afraid to bid low.

The dells are a good starting point. I have had 3 dell tower servers that have been great nas machines.

A post was split to a new topic: NAS Killer 4.0 troubleshooting - power issues

Will Inventec B400GA0 take e3 v2 xeons?

Never felt that stupid. it will, i have Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 :slight_smile:

Thanks for writing this guide! It’s been incredibly helpful in coming up with my first server build. It’d be great if anyone could provide feedback on the following specs:

• Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270
  • CPU cooler: Thermaltake Gravity i2
  • RAM: Kingston PC3-12800E
  • PSU: Corsair RM750 (which I already have)
  • Accessories: 6-pack SATA cables
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 804

That all looks good to me!

1 Like

Dunno if you picked up a case yet, but I just added a recommendation for the KL04B from Silverstone.

I did, I ended up with a node 804, I found a deal on EBAY for a SuperMicro X9SCL with a 1225v2 and 8gigs for 55 shipped… kinda made my mind up for me!!

But thanks for thinking of me!!

1 Like

Wow, what a steal! Awesome job.

1 Like

Great guide! Found this when researching for my first server build. As it happens I have an i7-3770 laying around (basically an entire system with a dead motherboard). No sure if this should be posted here or in a separate post.

I am having a rough time finding a motherboard on ebay (most sellers are in the US and shipping + import tax often triples the cost). Where do EU people mostly go for their parts?

I have found a Fujitsu D3161-A12 on ebay for 30 bucks including shipping, would that be a good option [ ebay link]?

Thank you for your help!

A post was split to a new topic: DQ77KB / NAS Killer v4.0 troubleshooting

Just a heads up - I’m building the Mini-ITX box and wanted to share the offers I made that were accepted:
Intel DQ77KB: $37.40
Xeon E3-1260L: $37.80

1 Like

One other note, the same seller for the motherboard sells full height I/O shields for the DQ77KB, but I sent them a message and asked if they’d include a full height I/O shield with my purchase and they said they’d be happy to. So if you need the full height shield, just go ahead and ask!

1 Like