[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

First time building a home server, not new to building computers but definitely new when it comes to learning about servers and networking. Long story short, was looking for a better solution to running my plex server and came across these forums. Bought one of the HP 290s to make a plex box and all the components i didnt have to build the NAS Killer 4.0 (using parts below).

Motherboard: supermicro x9scm-f
CPU: Xeon E3-1270 SR00N 3.4ghz quad core LGA 1155
Ram: Dell Poweredge R210 II 16gb (4x 4gb) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800E ECC UDIMM
psu: MasterWatt 550 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
cpu fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Problem is I cannot seem to get the computer to post. Everything is put together (mobo, cpu, psu, ram, cpu fan and case fans), hook up onboard vga to monitor and cannot get anything out of it. Did a little research on the board and learned a bit about the IPMI feature so I went that route thinking i could access the bios to change settings using IPMIView. I was able to find the computer and IP but it is password protected and i used every combination i found online that people said was the default but it wouldnt let me get past (ADMIN / ADMIN), nothing worked. At another deadend. I was about to buy another mobo thinking maybe i have a bad board and when i was on ebay i read a comment from a buyer stating they were having issues with the supermicro board in the beginning not being able to get through password protection in IPMI as well (unsure if they were having post issues or not, sent a message but no response yet). But this person said they were able to get past it after research and finding he could boot to USB with freeDOS and updated the bios to reset everything. I am unsure if this will fix my issue or similar and as i said, i am new to this side of computing. If this is my next step, can someone give me some help, guidance, step by steps please.

I know for now i would like to be able to access the system via the vga port, once i become more familiar with what I am doing then most likely IPMI will be a better solution.

THANK YOU

can anyone recommend a rack mount case which could fit the Ultra-quiet “Plus” build inside and in the same time could go inside a 450mm deep network cabinet? I started my network build before I thought about a NAS and now I’m stuck with my 12U/450mm NavePoint cabinet. It doesn’t really matters if it’s 3U or 4U since I still have plenty of room in there. I’m also not planning on having a crazy amount of HDD bays so that could help with the spacing, I’ll probably need 4 - 6 bays tops for the HDD and one for the SD.
I found this guy which on paper should fit an mATX and 4 HDDs but since I don’t have any PC building experience I am just not sure if it will 100% fit everything. Would really appreciate any input, thank you!

yeah it looks tricky.
an ebay search resulted in this, which you might be able to pick through for ideas:

19 in Rack Unit Width Server Rackmount Server Cases for sale | eBay

the monoprice case you listed looks like it will work for matx and ATX PSU, but two limitations:

1. you’d have to convert the 5.25 to 3.5 bays
  2. the PCI cards would be low profile only.
1 Like

Your Navepoint is not a server cabinet. It’s not designed to handle the weight or size of a rackmount server, I wouldn’t attempt it.

1 Like

Is the Dell Poweredge T110 II still recommended as a decent prebuilt option?

Looking to build a NAS for a nextcloud server and photo and Plex media storage.

I’d also like a game streaming server, though, so maybe a prebuilt isn’t for me?

I am very interested to build a home NAS. Please advise if my configuration will work together:

I forgot to mention, the server I would like to build will be used for photo and video storage to replace google photos. I was focused on power efficiency to keep the power bill as low as possible for this machine.

Looks good to me. I don’t think the case is very good, though.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I was looking for a cheap solution and found that case. N400 is 83 dollars now. Do you have other suggestions for the case? How the case can play the important role unless MB won’t fit in?

I think the N400 is perfectly fine at $83. The N400 can hold many more drives than the Zalman can, and is much easier to work in.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advise! I just realized that the original case I selected can hold only two 3.5 hdds. Do I need RAID card to connect the drives as SAS? I am planning to order WD 4TB red two drives and run them in RAID 1 I believe when the data is duplicated in case one of the drives fail?

Once the two drives fill, expected to add another pair of drives.

Well, if you’re running Unraid or TrueNAS, you explicitly do not want a RAID card. You do want a SAS HBA, however. This allows you to connect SAS or SATA HDDs.

2 Likes

Would anyone be able to share some anecdotal power consumption figures?

My current dual xeon x5667 Lego build is drawing 170w with 7HDDs and 2 SSDs. That’s $1 a day just to be on.

I’m considering modernising it with low power mobo and CPU as I already have a Plex quicksync box with i5 8500.

150-400w

Dual x5670 24 hdd 1 ssd

(Sorry for my bad english)
Hi,
i upgraded my old pc and still have the following components:

Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe (90-MIBI70-G0EAY0DZ)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K, 4C/8T, 3.50-3.90GHz, tray (CM8063701211700)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 (CML16GX3M2A1600C9)

Case: SilverStone Sugo SG08 with 600W ATX 80 PLUS Bronze (only 1x 3.5", 2x 2.5" but i could use the graphics card space for 2~3x 3.5" for the beginning.)

Are the existing things good enough or do I have to replace something?
I am new at server/nas building.

Looking to build my first NAS with Unraid. Don’t need it to be super quiet but pretty much am looking at a similar build to the Ultra-Quiet “Plus” build

Case Fractal Design Node 804
Motherboard Supermicro X9SCM
CPU E3-1270 V2
Ram 2x8GB PC3-10600E
Power EVGA 500 W1
SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i

Open to suggestions / modifications. This will likely just be a standalone NAS. I know it’s overkill in some aspects but I want to make sure it’s future proof and upgradable. I’m currently using a ReadyNas that’s maxed out and overdue for an upgrade. Still need to add a cooler? And not sold on the case, eventually I’d like to move to a rack, but currently don’t have one and that case was in stock/available.

Looks good to me so far. E3-1230v2 or 1240v2 will probably be cheaper with nearly the same performance.

Check out the Adaptec ASR series cards, they may be cheaper.

1 Like

I was going to build a NAS Killer 4, but I noticed that the M92p Tiny with a 3rd gen processor is listed as a prebuilt recommendation. In fact, that’s already my current server build.

I’m pretty happy with it except that its ‘storage’ is one internal SSD and two external USB-A drives. It runs Nextcloud and my backup software, that’s it.

Would you guys recommend I build a ‘proper’ NAS Killer 4.0 or should I just build a DAS for this little guy? Maybe 2-4 drives in a DAS and run unRaid?

Man, it’s been a hot minute since I first discovered these builds and signed up here! So a bit of a follow-up to this post; I haven’t yet followed any of the advice contained within here BUT I was given an old PC by a coworker not too long after the “COVID WFH shift” and all along I’ve been intending to make it my workstation file share hybrid box. I have it up and running Windows 10 for work (and light gaming) purposes but I haven’t truly been utilizing it much yet due to avoiding the storage situation.

So to get my storage handled, acknowledging (like in my original post) that most on here follow a different path, what’s the most straightforward option to train storage and redundancy? I know the board I have has onboard RAID but am I better suited to pick up one of the suggested controllers in IR mode and have the card manage it instead? Ideally I’d want to acquire some (3-4?) of the 8TB Sun SAS drives I’ve seen JDM suggesting in other threads, but not sure if I just use the card to throw them in a 1E array or what. The intended use is just to backup family photos and share some media content across my LAN (via Plex/Jellyfin/Kodi/etc.).

Thoughts?

Freebie PC consists of:

• CPU: Intel i7-3770k
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (8GB x 4) DDR3 PC3-12800 (BLS8G3D1609DS1S00.16FD)
  • GPU: SAPPHIRE 102-C67111-01-AT Radeon R9 290 4GB