[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

That all looks good to me!

1 Like

Dunno if you picked up a case yet, but I just added a recommendation for the KL04B from Silverstone.

I did, I ended up with a node 804, I found a deal on EBAY for a SuperMicro X9SCL with a 1225v2 and 8gigs for 55 shipped… kinda made my mind up for me!!

But thanks for thinking of me!!

1 Like

Wow, what a steal! Awesome job.

1 Like

Great guide! Found this when researching for my first server build. As it happens I have an i7-3770 laying around (basically an entire system with a dead motherboard). No sure if this should be posted here or in a separate post.

I am having a rough time finding a motherboard on ebay (most sellers are in the US and shipping + import tax often triples the cost). Where do EU people mostly go for their parts?

I have found a Fujitsu D3161-A12 on ebay for 30 bucks including shipping, would that be a good option [ ebay link]?

Thank you for your help!

A post was split to a new topic: DQ77KB / NAS Killer v4.0 troubleshooting

Just a heads up - I’m building the Mini-ITX box and wanted to share the offers I made that were accepted:
Intel DQ77KB: $37.40
Xeon E3-1260L: $37.80

1 Like

One other note, the same seller for the motherboard sells full height I/O shields for the DQ77KB, but I sent them a message and asked if they’d include a full height I/O shield with my purchase and they said they’d be happy to. So if you need the full height shield, just go ahead and ask!

1 Like

First, thanks for the great information. I received all my parts for the 6-bay Mini-ITX NAS and I’m not sure where the Node 304 front panel blue connector attaches to the DQ77KB board. I apologize if this is an obvious thing, I’m a total newb.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

You need one of these to connect the front USB 3.0 to the USB 2.0 onboard the DQ77KB.

https://amzn.to/2MO3u8U

Awesome, thank you! Got it ordered, can get my build finished Saturday, can’t wait :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t really need it to finish your build! It’s just for the front USB, you can always throw it in later.

Even better, I didn’t realize it was just for the USB ports…

Is there another source for the DQ77KB motherboard now? It seems the current link is sold out.

Hey, new to all this but looking to build based off one of your guides. Is there any chance of getting a “beefier” guide? Something with a CPU that would push past the 10k passmark? I didnt know if there was a guide out there with specs higher than the i7 or the E3-1270. Just curious

This is largely a used parts build aimed at being cheap. You won’t find 10k passmark on any of the motherboards in this guide. The highest passmark for the 1155 socket is just under 9000 for the i7 2700k.

I’d recommend waiting for the Anniversary 2.0 guide.

Anniversary 1.0, 2.0, Lego build, pretty much any dual socket can surpass 10K.

Why are you convinced that you need more than that?

Didn’t those builds only have the GA-7PESH motherboards that aren’t readily available anymore? I’m not convinced that I need more but I am looking to add more users to my plex account to access media after I recently purchased 6 4TB drives.

There’s a site-wide announcement about the upcoming Anniversary 2.0 build here.

More users doesn’t necessarily mean you need more passmark. If your users are going to direct play, it won’t require any additional CPU.