[Guide] "Lego" 8-bay, dual Xeon, ultra-quiet build (2019 updated)

@Stonepaw I am having a simliar issue with my build that I was able to boot a couple time, but now it turns on with a steady light on the right side of the board and a continues blinking light on the other side, but do not get a post beep. I have tried getting a second board, but experiencing the same issue. I left the CPUs that came with the board, but just find it stange to have the same issue with two different boards. Would the power supply possibility be the issue? I am using a SeaSonic 550W with only power to the motherboad and nothing else.

@chadj87 I havenā€™t had any luck with mine. Iā€™m returning it and have ordered another. Thatā€™s interesting that you are also have issues.

Kinda making me want to update my original Lego build with some of the prices Iā€™ve seen for the X5670.

I just noticed that you are using the wrong DIMM slot. You need to start with the DIMMs that are closest to the CPU.

So, can this board support 10TB drives?
I ask because I have a few shucked drives and am assuming they arenā€™t being detected because I need to do the 3.3v fix (waiting for kapton tape, they work in other devices). But it occurred to me that I donā€™t actually know if hardware this old will support disks this large.

Yes, it can. And yes, in most cases you need to do the 3.3v fix.

You can also just pull the 3.3v wire instead of taping the drives.

Iā€™m with JDM, pulling the wire from the splitter is so much easier than fiddling around with tiny bits of tape. And its a very positive disconnect, no wondering!

i popped into the discord channel some time ago to troubleshoot why i wasnā€™t able to get it to boot.
turns out that the recommended PSU (EVGA 400N1) didnā€™t work for me.

ended up using an old thermaltake TR2-500W with success.

it may or may not be that i got a bad PSU, but hope this could be of some help.

1 Like

Thank you @JDM_WAAAT for all that youā€™ve done. Iā€™m in the market for something and have been studying your site daily for weeks.

After reading a few of your different threads, it sounds like youā€™re liking dual CPU setups now that prices are falling for both CPUs and compatible motherboards ā€“ is this true for NAS as well? I mostly saw that kind of sentiment in the recent server upgrade tutorialā€¦

ā€œGenerally speaking, single socket builds are not as cost effective as their dual-socket counterparts. I find them harder and harder to recommend as the prices of dual-socket motherboards continue to drop.ā€

Just want to confirm that you think thatā€™s an overall better bang for buck. I would agree and it would impact my build out.

The other question I had, about this build in particular, is what is the best way to get 10gb Ethernet in here?

Have you checked out the Anniversary 2.0 build? A few of the motherboards there have onboard 10GbE.

That is where I copied your quote from :slight_smile:

This build here is more prescriptive than the other thread, and simpler for a newbie like me to follow. All of the options are confusing me. Maybe I should have posted these two questions over in the other thread. I appreciate you pointing me over there. I will study that one more. A lot more options, learning!

I asked this on Discord but incase anyone is looking here, I am asking here as well. I have followed the LEGO build setup (X8DTL-iF with two Xeon X5667) it boots up when one CPU is in either of the sockets (i have mixed and matched the CPUs to the sockets and the RAM). but when i have both CPUs in , it will not boot. I have checked the EPS splitter as well and thats in working condition. Really seems that the only issue is when both CPUs are in place (updated BIOS to latest version as well). If anyone has ideas, that would be appreciated. (guessing it might be the board but confused since both sockets work)

I pulled on this build this morning , its going to take a while to get all the parts in. Found a motherboard with dual 5670 CPUs so that is good

Mother Board X8DLT-if $138.78
CPU X5670x2 0
CPU Cooler $36.28
Ram 2x 16GB DD3 ECC REG $75.55
Case Antec Gaming Series $79.99
PSU Cool Master MWE 600 $68.99
EPS Splitter $10.99
Sata Cables 6 pack $7.99
Fan Pack $27.00
Sata Power Splitters $13.99
Amazon Total $208.95
Ebay Total 250.61
Total Project w/ tax $459.56

I got 2 sticks of memory, how should they go in this mother board, 1 in each bank of 3 or 2 in the first bank starting closest to the CPU.

Moving from a old Unraid T310 dual x3430 to this.

Looking forward to putting this together while stuck at home

The manual should be on the website to let you know which slots you need to populate first. Your going to like this build.

Pretty proud of myself. I got my motherboard last week. Finally got the Power and assorted cables today. I hooked it up on a bench test and booted in a Ubuntu Live USB drive and it all worked. CPU and Memory recognized, even was able to adjust the fan speed for quiet behavior. Also hooked up a old hard drive and installed ubuntu to do a burn in test. Thanks to JDM_WAAAT for this site and giving me the confidence.

Case due next week hopefully Amazon will get it here sooner. Thankfully everything else I need came a week 1/2 before they suggested.

Amazon doesnā€™t have the 2 x Arctic Freezer 12 92mm PWM 225 cooler and fans anymore. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Is this build still viable? I built my current plex server with this build a couple years ago and it has served me well but I am now wondering if there is a better, more power efficient build on this site? I am running 2x E5620s with 16gb of ram. How does this build compare to the Naskiller 4.0/4.1 builds? Looking into future expansion with some SAS cards and I know my Lego build board has a lot of expansion slots.

isnā€™t it not recommended to use EPS splitter? read some guys say it is not safe?