[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Don’t transcode 4k.

4 Likes

Its not the CPU.

This is a new setup.

I did this before and managed 3 4K transcoded streams no problem. This time I cannot even get one?

Dunno, but transcoding 4k isn’t a valid test IMO.

Even struggling with 2 1080p streams?

I have no clue what hardware you’re talking about. Sounds like a network issue to me.

Both times I instal Ubuntu Server was through this guide:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=instal+plex+media+server&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It used SSH tunnelling etc

My spec is:

Ah, I see you didn’t follow the guide.

The guide specifies what version of Ubuntu to use.

Yeah, I didn’t fancy using desktop as there is no use? Why would it be so much slower with no GUI?

I just used apart from step 5.

Network should also be fine. Only thing running on Plex Server and its 1Gbe to UniFI switch then 1Gbe to the Unraid Server.

This thread isn’t specifically a troubleshooting thread - you should make one in the parent category #builds:jdms-hardware-transcoding-builds or in #technology:tech-support!

Hi all!

I wonder if could be possible to do the transcoding in a Ubuntu VM + PMS on a i7-7700k / 32gb / GTX 970 unraid server with pass trough IGPU for the VM?

Probably… but why?

Unraid allows for use of the iGPU through a certain docker setup (I forget which)

I haven’t tested it on my unraid server because it doesn’t have a QS-enabled CPU, but I can confirm it works perfectly in Docker on my bare metal Ubuntu server. The linuxservers container in unraid used to have instructions on passing the iGPU through right in the description. Basically, you add a device to the container with the value /dev/dri:/dev/dri . It’s easy enough to test if you have a couple minutes.

Since i already have a good enough CPU for transcoding i don’t see the necessity to add another system with similar features and was wondering if it was a way to do it all in one system :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is my plan:

• Unraid Server
    Intel i7 7700k, 32 Gb. RAM, 6x 4tb. HDD
    Ubuntu VM + Plex with IGPU passthrough + dedicated SSD
    Win 10 VM + GTX 970 passthrough + NVME and SSD dedicated for daily driver and Gaming
    90% of the time i stream on direct play and since the goal here is to make use of QuickSync i think the 8 cores on my i7 can be set to 6 for the win VM and 2 for the PMS VM

Option 2 is to keep the i7 only for unraid and the PMS VM and build another system for Gaming and daily use.

Seems like hardware transcoding is a plex-pass only feature, yet I don’t see any mention of it in the thread, am I missing something or does everyone here have a subscription ?

Yes it is a plex-pass only feature. Everyone using it has a subscription.

Thanks for this, JDM. Got the HP290 up and running smooth. <3

1 Like

In your first post, you mention that – “Plex Media Server on Windows (or possibly the OS itself) artificially limits Plex to a maximum of 2 hardware transcodes most of the time. Sometimes it lets a few more simultaneous hardware transcodes takes place, but it’s very finicky at best. This issue is not present in Linux.”

Has anything changed on this front or is this still the case? Thank you!

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. I suspect it is a Windows based issue, not a Plex one.