[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Figured it out ya’ll! Somehow after changing my password and logging out of everything, I didn’t have permission to access server. Also all the var files were gone.
So I basically…
-restored my HP to a few days ago.
-went to Plex via myipofmyplexserver:32400
-I was able to finally claim my old server.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve got a plex server running in a docker container on Ubuntu 22.04. I’m running a 12th gen intel processor. Hardware transcoding with quicksync works on h264 content but not on h265 content, even though the cpu should support it. Does anyone know why that’s the case?

1 Like

Details please.

1 Like

I’ve come across a refurbished system with the following specs:

i3-7100
8gb DDR4
128gb SATA SSD

The price is pretty good at 140 Euros but I am unsure about some things:

-power consumption
It’s not a T CPU and ark lists the max TDP at 51w, is there any indication how much this PC will draw at idle? I’m not looking for something I have to manually turn on and off every day to conserve power

-NFS requirement
I have my media on a Synology DS918+ that I use SMB to access. I see that it supports NFS but I’m not sure what switching from SMB to NFS entails and how difficult that is.

-4k HDR transcoding
The DS918+ I have does support 4k HDR transcoding in a very limited capacity, would the 7100 fare much better here? It’s not really a priority as I’m more focused on 1080p but I’m curious how much improvement I could expect in this area.

I recently got my hands on an HP S01 and decided to give Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 a shot first.

Let the installer do its thing, used the Ubuntu Software app to install Plex server, and then a quick minute in Terminal to install and configure autofs to access the media.

Did a quick test and got the happy (hw) for both decoding and encoding.

No idea, but I’m interested in hearing what you find. I’m essentially looking to do a similar build.

Perhaps it’s because 22.04 LTS is what best supports the newer Intel CPUs? Ref to a post on the subject - [Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC - #579 by Raize1

You went awry by using the Ubuntu Software (snap) to install Plex.

There’s no reason to use 12th-gen over 7th-gen. Just stick with that and you won’t run into any issues.

1 Like

Yes, I did that on purpose to see if it would work. I was prepared for it not to work. But given that it is all working, is there any reason not to just leave it?

You want a quick overview on snaps?

Snaps are slow to install, slow to start, take too much RAM, too much disk space and they auto-update themselves without asking, taking up bandwidth. They don't respect your system setting and snap versions of apps are often restricted compared to their non-snap counterpart.

Well, when you put it that way…

As another alternative, is there any reason not to use the Plex repo?

I believe the Plex Repo does not support Plex Pass versions.

I read that as specific to preview + beta versions, not final releases, but that can be a misinterpretation.

You’re correct, the repo has the latest public releases, not beta or preview releases. You can use the version from the repo and still get whatever Plex Pass features have been released publicly in that version (assuming you’re a Plex Pass subscriber), you just won’t get to try out all the preview features before the public.

So you have evidence that h265 transcoding works on 7th-gen when running Plex Server in a Docker container? Just want to be clear on what you’re saying here.

Why wouldn’t it work? Refer to the chart above.

I dunno, according to the chart what @dotMonkey is trying to do should work as well.

Considering the lack of response in a request for details to troubleshoot, I’m gonna count it as user error.

Yup. Also, he’s trying (and failing) to do it on 12th-gen, which hasn’t even seen support until recently.