[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Running three transcodes and less than 10% cpu usage.

2 Likes

New PMS beta version released, with fixes for hardware transcoding.

Notes: This release requires an active Plex Pass subscription to download
Beta release note entries are appended between minor releases.

ITEMS ADDED:
(Transcoder) Update to current upstream ffmpeg
(Transcoder) Support for hardware transcoding on Linux with Intel 9th-gen processors
(Transcoder) Support for VC-1 hardware decoding on supported platforms
(Transcoder) Support for hardware decoding on Linux with Nvidia GPUs
(Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding on Linux with Nvidia GPUs
(Transcoder) Support for zero-copy hardware transcoding of interlaced media

ITEMS FIXED:
(DVR) Comskip was not available in recording options on FreeBSD.
(DVR) Enhanced Plex Media Server’s performance by skipping reads of previously processed XMLTV guide data. (#9846)
(Transcoder) The server could become unresponsive after certain precisely-timed client interactions.
Corrects Live TV playback error when tuning to channel that contains space(s) in it.
(Transcoder) The server could use large amounts of CPU time when converting subtitles (#10478)

DOWNLOAD LINK: Media Server Downloads | Plex Media Server for Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD and More

confirmed working with the new plexpass version.

1 Like

Using Unraid can you run plex on a VM(Ubuntu) to access full hardware(eg Quadro P2000) transcoding or will you still only get half hardware transcoding like when running a plex docker? Thanks!

Edited for clarity(Hopefully)

Are you asking if you get the full hardware speed on virtualized hardware?

Edited my question to be more clear, sorry about that.

“Half hardware” still isn’t clear. What you’re asking regarding the p2000 appears to be passthrough, which does work, but if all you read was “go p2000” you didn’t grasp the nuance of the guide.

Dynamiteboy
If I am understanding correctly pass thru “Hardware Transcoding” with a GPU to a docker is really only half transcoding? The encoding part?

JDM_WAAAT
That’s correct, unless something has changed within the past month.

Dynamiteboy
What is the downside of that? Performance? Quality? Less supported video formats?

JDM_WAAAT
The downside is that you’re only half taking advantage of your GPU that you paid for. The CPU is doing the rest of the legwork. You’re getting some of the advantages of hardware transcoding while only slightly reducing the downsides of software transcoding. IMO it’s not worth the cost unless you can completely offload the process.

:question:

Will a VM be effected in the same way a DOCKER is in reference to the above?

:kissing_heart:

Faultline

P2000 was just an example, if you were attempting to be condescending Congrats! Clearly I’m either struggling with this concept and/or I don’t know enough about it and your attempt to help was greatly improved by being negative.

Any suggestions for a 4k Plex player build? Saw your anything box videos but they are now sold out.

I am building a FreeNAS Server right now and only have a Intel Xeon E3-1220 V1.
Do you think it would make sense to buy an Xeon E3-1225 V2 oder 1245 V2 and use the Intel (Ivy Bridge) HD Graphics P4000 for Hardware Transcoding?
I heard it is possible to use Hardware transcoding since FreeNAS 11.2 but I wasn’t really able to find any good information about this…
Thanks in advance

Ivy Bridge is 3rd gen, 6th or later is recommended in this guide, which is Skylake and on.

How much transcoding do you do? I built one of the dedicated boxes recommended in this guide and they work great.

1 Like

It’s less about the transcoding performance, but rather about reserving CPU cycles for other applications like a Minecraft Server, Unifi Controller, Next Cloud and maybe a VM or two.

Most of my Media is Direct Stream / Play, (720p - 1080p) but sometimes the Video has to be transcoded because the Subtitles or Audio are not supported on the Client (e.g. Google Chromecast).

I also use the Downloads & Sync Feature a lot, (because 4G and even 3G Coverage in Germany is terrible) which can really stress the CPU in my current Plex Media Server (Athlon 5150).

Do you think Hardware Transcoding will be worth a try or should I rather go with the cheapest 4C/8T 1155 Xeon I can find instead of one with an Intel HD P4000 iGPU? Thanks in advance :^)

Awesome setup. I have a full rack as well that I’m only now beginning to populate. would love to know what all i’m looking at in there! (Obviously i recognize switches and patch panels)

Am I reading correctly that if I go with the i5 laptop option the available connection is only 1Gb instead of 10Gb with the adapter?

You won’t be able to use 10Gb networking with laptops. You really don’t need it, GbE is plenty!

1 Like

Perfect, thanks.

Oh, does that also mean I shouldn’t bother with the Mellanox card in the L4500? Just use the second MoBo Ethernet jack?

Correct!

1 Like

Single stream on 7700hq laptop. Hardware transcoding is enabled.

It’s not transocoding via hardware. There’s no (hw) showing in your screenshot.

Needs to show (hw) in both places.