[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

So I have a question here and I had read about as much as I can on these different iGPUs, but something caught my attention.
JDM stated that a Intel 6xxxx ( iGPU hd 530) is fine for transcoding but from everything I have read, the Intel 8xxxx+ (UHD 6xx) seem to have a massive leap in there decode and encode abilities. Is the performance from a he 530 to a UHD 630 that big of a leap or is it negligible? I mean I know jumps from gen to gen there is always going to be improvements and what not but from that list it seems as though you wouldnā€™t want a iGPU under UHD 6xx. Itā€™s not super important by any means Iā€™m just wondering just driving down the Plex transcoding rabbit whole ( we have all been there thatā€™s how we all found this form) and just thinking if I ever need a backup or something happen down the line here.

Hello all new user ,
So I picked up a hp290 and put in a 1tb nvme and 8gb ram.
First installed win 10 and updated bios with hp assist, than wiped drive and installed Ubuntu desktop, installed Plex and checked Plex hardware transcode. It will not hw transcode, is there something Iā€™m missing ? Any help I would be appreciated.

So how to install the QuickSinc driver on a Tiger lake?

Cool thanks for the point in the right direction , sorry Iā€™m very new to the Ubuntu scene. Will have to look into it further.

Have you purchased Plex pass? It is required to do hardware transcoding.

1 Like

So after a few hours of looking up how to install the drivers , I found a tutorial saying install the 3rd party software like when first installing and success . I appreciate the help
Also thanks to JDM and everyone for all the love and effort put into everything on the forums.

So I have a question about Ubuntu on Windows 10 (WLS)
With a setup like that would plex be able to use the intel QS for Transcoding if running the plex server in Ubuntu ?
If not wouldnā€™t there still be advantages to running plex server this way instead of just through windows 10?
I am going to test something out myself here about it but just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this or is doing it this way

Probably not considering itā€™s running in a container/vm

So I just finished a new build to take advantage of quicksync. I have lifetime plexpass, Iā€™ve migrated the server from the old debian box to the newest version of ubuntu server.
I ticked the box in transcoder so it should be using quicksync but it isnā€™t. I donā€™t see the little (hw) in the activity dashboard or tautulli.
As far as I can tell the 11700k has quicksync on it but Iā€™ve shuffled through several shows in plex and none of them seem to use quicksync they just transcode with the CPU.
I also have the dummy plug DP plugged in to the motherboard.
Any ideas guys?

Is it possible your client device is able to play the media file directly, and therefore there is no transcoding actually happening?

Are your clients actually requesting a transcode?

Yeah Iā€™ve seen dozens of transcodes by now. No HW though. My googling is also coming up empty here. Did I need a hdmi dummy plug instead of a display port?

No, the type of dummy plug does not matter. Did you follow the Ubuntu instructions to a T?

Hi community, been reading a lot and want to make proper NAS and plex ā€œtranscoderā€ for 4k. Either two machines or one combined.

Why I want to transcode 4K? Well simple reason if Iā€™m on the road and I want to play it on laptop, ipad, etc. Not definite yet, been thinking of having 1080p separate library so no need for transcoding ever.

But if I decide to go transcode route,

Iā€™ve found this config for roughly 400usd. Prodesk 600 G4 in question.

CPU : Intel Core i5 8600T 6c/6t @ 2.3-3.7 GHz Turbo
RAM : 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz (2x 8GB Samsung)
SDD : 500GB V-NAND SAMSUNG 850 EVO
NVMe : 500GB KXG5AZNV512G TOSHIBA 3000/2100MB Read/Write
GPU : Intel UHD 630

What do you think of the price? Is price ok? Btw one of the ssdā€™s I can use as cache in unraid server once I build it.

Thanks a lot for any feedback, I appreciate it.

Yep. The only differences are Iā€™m using SMB shares instead of NFS, and I used debian server 21.10 instead.
lspci does seem to see it ā€œ00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750] (rev 04)ā€ but aside from that I really have no idea how to kick it off. That box under transode settings is ticked.

Those are huge differences.

Follow the guide exactly and let me know how that goes.

i recently got an error while only 3 streams saying computer not powerful enough. its a i5-8th gen laptop running ubuntu 20.04ā€¦
the only difference i could figure out was my drive is connected via USB instead of having it as a separate NAS.

Can you help me figure out or show me how I can go about trying to narrow down the issue?

thanks!!

What operating system are you running? Do you have a SSD in the laptop?

Ubuntu 20.04. SSD is a Samsung 256GB M.2 NVMe.

lately iā€™ve been researching, and wondering now that maybe its the USB speed (since its just an external HDD connected via USB 3.0) thatā€™s causing issues? I was thinking of NAS, but i really donā€™t think i need more storage space or redundancy coz its just media filesā€¦

do you think that might be the issue? any suggestions?

bump.