[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

I moved from a Win 2012R2 dual xeon plex server to a quicksync build and the difference is amazing.

Box:
Dell Inspiron 3670 Intel Core i7-8700 16GB 128GB NVMe running Ubuntu 19.04 with a HDMI Plug.

Before, with my windows box I was able to support maybe a max of 10-11 transcodes and my CPU would be pegged, now, its barely touched,

Sessions: 11 streams (4 direct plays, 7 transcodes) | Bandwidth: 42.2 Mbps (LAN: 5.3 Mbps, WAN: 37.0 Mbps)

2 Likes

I’ve created some all-encompassing searches for 7th-9th Generation quicksync processors, desktops, and laptops. These searches include every major CPU model from the particular generation and family.

Searches are: buy it now, sorted by price (low to high)

CPUs (Avoid “F” series processors, they do not have QuickSync)

Desktops (Avoid “F” series processors, they do not have QuickSync)

Laptops

2 Likes

instead of having to reboot after editing the fstab file, just do a ‘sudo mount -a’ and it will accomplish the same thing…you can go into your new /mnt/xxxx directory and ls -l and if you see your files, you’re good to go.

4 Likes

Cross posting this here for reference.

Well I got it all setup ok and can see the mounts and play the files but there is loads of buffering? Its almost like its coming down my broadband?!

Don’t transcode 4k.

4 Likes

Its not the CPU.

This is a new setup.

I did this before and managed 3 4K transcoded streams no problem. This time I cannot even get one?

Dunno, but transcoding 4k isn’t a valid test IMO.

Even struggling with 2 1080p streams?

I have no clue what hardware you’re talking about. Sounds like a network issue to me.

Both times I instal Ubuntu Server was through this guide:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=instal+plex+media+server&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It used SSH tunnelling etc

My spec is:

Ah, I see you didn’t follow the guide.

The guide specifies what version of Ubuntu to use.

Yeah, I didn’t fancy using desktop as there is no use? Why would it be so much slower with no GUI?

I just used apart from step 5.

Network should also be fine. Only thing running on Plex Server and its 1Gbe to UniFI switch then 1Gbe to the Unraid Server.

This thread isn’t specifically a troubleshooting thread - you should make one in the parent category #builds:jdms-hardware-transcoding-builds or in #technology:tech-support!

Hi all!

I wonder if could be possible to do the transcoding in a Ubuntu VM + PMS on a i7-7700k / 32gb / GTX 970 unraid server with pass trough IGPU for the VM?

Probably… but why?

Unraid allows for use of the iGPU through a certain docker setup (I forget which)