[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Are you sure it won’t?
Could have sworn it said somewhere it would
Does that mean you have tried it?

This is what you wrote above this is the bit I wanted to clarify as it would solve all my issues and allow me to have about 50 transcodes on 1 server

According to Plex it does, in reality it either will not stream or it will crash.

Consider partitioning your users into multiple Plex instances, each with its own hardware transcoder; e.g., one instance using QS and one using NVENC. In Linux, of course. Note that QS counts as hardware transcode, not software. You can still add QS boxes in the future.

Its worth testing from your experience if I want to stream to 30 people and 15 to 20 are transcoding what would you recommend for spec maybe ill build a server again soon happy to spend upto 1.5k

Just spend $90-$200 on a dedicated box that has QuickSync and add a second server. Put half of your users on your existing one, and half on the other.

How many servers can you run on one account? Should you share the media or can each use its own?

The media source can be the same. There’s no limit to how many servers can be on the same account. When you port forward, just use a different port for each server.

i.e. if your main server is 32400, secondary can be 32401, then 32402, and so on.

1 Like

Many people use separate servers for various reasons.

Separating out 4K is a good start, as you can control things such as thumbnail generation, disabling transcoding, user sharing, and more. These options are easier to control at a server level than a library level, so IMO it’s a lot more convenient to have segregated servers in cases like this.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

What about if I buy Intel NUC Kit NUC10i5FNH, Frost Canyon, Core i5-10210U, DDR4 SO-DIMM, M.2 SSD, Intel UHD Graphics, Barebone with 16gb of ddr4 2400mhz ram
Or should get 32gb ram to use some of the ram for transcoding ?
Due to my plex media server app data folder having 2.7million files 347gb I think I will need a 500gb Samsung nvme

I only like to buy the latest new equipment

Are you sure an
Core i3-10110U
Will perform for plex reasons the same as
Core i5-10210U

I won’t get and more transcodes out of the i5?

Yep, you will get almost exactly the same performance. There’s no reason to go 10th gen, 8th/9th should be way cheaper. For Plex, the performance will be the same. Don’t waste your money.

Just buy a HP 290, they have NVMe support and work great.

I am currently running a Plex Media Server in a Proxmox VE LXC container, hardware transcoding has been running without problems so far.

1 Like

Can you link to how you passed through your iGPU? I tried for 2 days then gave up lol

I used this Guide: Installation guide for PMS under Proxmox 5.1 within an LXC Container
Make shure to use a privileged Container or it will not work

Just wondering if the HP G4 mini is still recommended?

I currently have a Mac Mini 2012 which, to be honest, is a little beast and runs pretty much anything I throw at it, including 4K transcodes. That said, with HDR to SDR tone mapping now on the cards, I’m thinking it’s time for an upgrade (plus to be honest it’s just a good excuse to fiddle with new hardware).

So I’m looking at a G4. Any issues to be aware of or is it still totally fine with quicksync?

Thanks for the guide, very helpful!

FYI, the hp 290’s cpu is too slow to transcode the audio of the 4k LOTR EE discs, even while direct playing the video. The disc hits 100+ mbps in many scenes, resulting in significant stuttering even with a simple audio transcode

Don’t transcode 4k :slight_smile: