[Guide] Anniversary 2.0 "SNAFU" - Server Needs a Friggin' Upgrade

Correction for the chassis section, the “CSE-825TQ” only has 8 hotswap drives.

This link appears to be missing ‘YH90Q’ from the search and instead links to many modules of varying speeds and sizes. Here’s an updated link: m386b4g70bm0-yh90q for sale | eBay

Do you guys see any issues with this build?
I plan on upgrading the ram to 64gb eventually with 4x16.
and i already own 3x4 TB WD reds

I wouldn’t recommend wasting money on Noctua CPU coolers.

1 Like

Hi all,

Updated my server thanks to the guide. I wanted to confirm if M386B4G70DM0-CMA4 → 32gb 1866Mhz Sticks - will work with the X9DRH-7TF, I’ve 2630v2 running on them. I plan to get 4 of these modules.

Thanks!

Hi, is the ultra tower build spec still as the original post? Nothing changed in terms of hardware? I’m based in the UK so might make getting some of the parts a bit trickier but up for the challenge!

GA-7PESH2 are like golddust these days. What’s the current “go to” board?

This is an amazing guide. Thank you all so much!

I’m definitely no expert so this may be a dumb question but why under the Dual CPU recommendations is the E5-2650 the top of the line recommendation when the E5-2667 in Mid Range recommendation has the same # of cores, higher frequency & higher passmark score? It would seem the E5-2667 is the better CPU.

The recommendation is E5-2650 v2, not v1. Different CPU! :slight_smile:

For those that are considering starting with a prebuilt but also want to upgrade the cpu in the future, the HP Z420, Z620 and Z820 models can support v1/v2, but not all machines can support both.

AFAIK, there is a cutoff in 2013 where they enabled v2 CPUs and systems before the cutoff can’t support v2 chips no matter what the bios says. For the Z820, system boards with PN 708464-001 or 618266-002 will not support v2 and boards with PN 708610-001 or 618266-004 will.

Also @JDM_WAAAT, thank you for all the work that you and the others put into this and the other guides. I’m almost completely new to this and they have been my go to references.

https://www.greenpcgamers.com/technology/hp-z820-gaming-computer-and-hardware-upgrade-guide/

Question - I recently inherited a Proliant G8 that I am looking to part out into a new system (more fan control than the HP allows for)…

For CPU I have x2 E5-2670 v2 and for ram i have 3 stick of HMT42GR7MFR4C-PB (Hynix PC3-12800R 1600 MHz 16 GB DIMM DDR3 SDRAM Server Memory for sale online | eBay).

Would these be compatible with the x9drl-if (or any other boards) above?

Do the Supermicro dual CPU boards have support for changing fan speeds in the BIOS?

Either in the BIOS or IPMI.

this is a very good guide. Thanks you all !!!

I am trying to build a server for labs (64GB RAM) and I am thinking of something like:
Processor: XEON E5-2650v2 (x2)
Motherboard: X9DRL-IF
PSU: EVGA 750 G +
Hard Drive: 120 GB SSD
Memory: this is my problem.

I went through the supermicro documentation and couldn’t find the memories listed.
I found the following memory (Hynix HMT42GR7MFR4A-H9), but I think its price is very high

Which memory do you recommend?

Regards.

1 Like

Looking for some feedback on this build. I already have all my drives, one of the coolers, the PSU and the P2000 on hand.

I use this site for references and compatibilities. Keep in mind that this is a memory sales site and not the direct references from the manufacturers.

CPU:The 2696v2 is a OEM CPU, most boards won’t support them. I’ve heard good things about Lenovo/Dell boards supporting them though. You might wanna look at the 2680v2 (half price, 2 less cores, but officially supported) or 2697v2 (similar price? but fully supported)

RAM: I’d go with 4x16GB to take advantage of the quad-channel layout, unless you had a really great deal on those LRDIMMs. LRDIMMs also suffer from a speed reduction in some configs (check the Supermicro manual - memory section), so the 1866MHz may not shine through

PSU: Does it have dual 8-pin CPU cables?

Cooler: The X9DAi’s layout has both CPUs quite near each other. Are you mounting the 212s horizontally (ie exhaust up) or vertically (CPU1’s exhaust feeds into CPU2’s intake)? If the latter (and given the high TDP CPUs), temperatures may be a problem for the 2nd CPU - I suggest liquid cooling OR getting other coolers that can be mounted horizontally

Case: L4500s are pricey now

I see quite a few deals on Samsung 16GB RDIMMs, they go for around $28/16GB?

Ebay