[Guide] Anniversary 2.0 "SNAFU" - Server Needs a Friggin' Upgrade

I run a Mac OS VM on ESXI with v2 cpus and it runs great. The key is a compatible video card. I have a quatro K series card that is supported out of the box once passed through to the Mac vm.

1 Like

For macOS Catalina (10.15), your CPU must have AVX (original, not avx2 or other)

Therefore, you can not run Catalina, or later on anything before Sandy Bridge, including the Westmere Xenon 56xx.

However, AFAIK everything else will run it just fine.

JDM, I don’t think you will be able to update to Catalina or later on your old Mac Pro.

Well sure there are limitations with software just like anything else… but as far as applications running, the Mac itself working, it’s great.

FYI I bought that exact board and did not support a V2 cpu until I flashed it to the most recent firmware. Works great with 2x e5-2650 v2.

1 Like

Correction for the chassis section, the “CSE-825TQ” only has 8 hotswap drives.

This link appears to be missing ‘YH90Q’ from the search and instead links to many modules of varying speeds and sizes. Here’s an updated link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=m386b4g70bm0-yh90q&_sop=15

Do you guys see any issues with this build?
I plan on upgrading the ram to 64gb eventually with 4x16.
and i already own 3x4 TB WD reds

I wouldn’t recommend wasting money on Noctua CPU coolers.

1 Like

Hi all,

Updated my server thanks to the guide. I wanted to confirm if M386B4G70DM0-CMA4 -> 32gb 1866Mhz Sticks - will work with the X9DRH-7TF, I’ve 2630v2 running on them. I plan to get 4 of these modules.

Thanks!