First NAS 5.0 Build - does this list make sense?

OK. I was going to try and buy an old server/workstation, but now I’m switching to building, because, why not?

Again, this NAS is pretty much just for storage. I have another PC I’m setting up to run Plex and other fun stuff, so I’m guessing I don’t need a ton of horsepower here. I plan on running UnRaid. I’m definitely not a pro at this but I have put PCs together in the past.

I’m hoping someone can take a look at what I’ve picked out (and haven’t ordered yet) and let me know if:

1. I’m missing something
  2. Something I’ve picked out is just not going to work and needs to be replaced OR, there’s a better/cheaper option.
  • Case - Cooler Master N400 ($90 on Amazon)
  • MB - Asus B85M-G/CSM/SI Micro ATX DDR3 LGA 1150 Motherboard With I/O SHIELD ($55 on Ebay)
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz ($30 on Ebay)
  • RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 RAM PC3-12800U ($40 on Ebay)
  • SSD - SanDisk SSD PLUS 1TB ($80 on Amazon)
  • SATA cables ($9 on Amazon)
  • ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CPU Cooler ($24 on Amazon)
  • EVGA 500 W1 Power Supply ($30 on evga.com)

I think that’s it other than HDDs. Do I just go with WD Red 6TB SATA drives (around $100 on Amazon). Or do I go with SAS drives? If so, I would need some kind of SAS card, correct? Either way, I’d like to get 3-4 6TB drives.

Thanks for any help/advice!

I’m currently running Hitachi Ultrastor 7200 RPM SATA drives. They are 6tb that I got off go hard drive.

59 each - for a 5 year warranty. I think they are cheap becasue they aren’t made anymore as they moved on to the next larger size.

I’m using 4 of them and using ZFS file system but that’s OS dependent and other things.

1 Like

Dang. Where did you find that deal? Haven’t been that lucky yet.

go hard drive. com

they sell direct or though newegg. it’s where I buy most of my spinners but I’m not buying new in box out of store and I’m OK with a refurbished on if it has warranty but they also have new shipment in warrany. the deals are on the devices that are discontinued but there are shelves full of them.

Also if you don’t know Hitachi is Western Digital these days - so I consider them equal quality. I’m still leary of seagate drives though I know people that swear buy them. and anything that doesn’t have those names on it with a spinning platter I avoid. OH and Hitachi became HGST if you see that again is also western digital. and I’ve been a WD fan since way way back.