Final Build Check - NAS Killer 4.0

Just one final check before I start buying components. I’ve built, upgraded, and repaired gaming and general purpose PCs before, but I don’t have any experience with server tech. Are there any conflicts or incompatibilities with any of these components I’ve listed? Anything unusual or unexpected when building?

Type Part
Case Rosewill RSV-L4500
Motherboard Supermicro X9SCM
CPU Xeon E3-1230 V2
CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 12
RAM 1600MHz ECC 2x4GB = 8GB
PSU EVGA Supernova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold
SAS Controller Card (2x) LSI 9211 8i
SATA Power Cables Cable Matters 4-to-1 SATA Power Splitters
SATA Data Cables SAS to SATA Breakout Cables
Drives 12 assorted 4TB mechanical SATA drives (5400/7200RPM)

Oh, and those SATA power cable splitters won’t burst into flames, right? I’ve seen so many posts and videos online about SATA power cables (especially the SATA to Molex adapters) combusting.

FWIW, there’s nothing wrong with using dual LSI SAS controllers, but if you’re only using 12 HDD, you can use the onboard SATA ports on the motherboard with 1 SAS controller.

Oh, and those SATA power cable splitters won’t burst into flames, right? I’ve seen so many posts and videos online about SATA power cables (especially the SATA to Molex adapters) combusting.

Correct, we’ve made sure to link the correct style (crimped) power connectors for safety-related reasons.

I’ve seen posts on Reddit in the past with people saying that hooking up too many hard drives to the motherboard’s onboard SATA ports severely degraded performance. Something about the Southbridge not being able to keep up with too many drives? Is there any truth to that?

There used to be. Boards such as this, you’ll be fine.