DIY HomeLab Help

Hi there.
First of all, it’s my first time posting here, so I don’t know if this is in the right place (feel free to change it)

So I’m thinking of building an HomeLab for storage, media and probably trying some smart home stuff. I was thinking of using my old rig to it but I’m here to ask you if you guys think it a good ideia or if I should sell it (trying like 400€) and build the NAS Killer 6.0.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

PS: I already got 4x4GB WD RED, but I’ll to buy another case because i wanna put it in the TV bench near to the rooter

what do you guys think?
thanks in advance.
Cheers.

For your stated purposes, it sounds fine. To expand storage, you’d probably want a case with more bays such as an N400. And personally I’d just ditch out the AIO for an air cooler like maybe a Thermalright Assassin. Can also remove the GPU to save the energy, doesn’t seem needed for server purposes.

Agreed, I don’t see a need for the GPU, and the N400 would be the ideal case.

I was thinking of the SilverStone SST-GD09B because it got the size to fit my TV bench

We typically try to steer people away from cases for their servers that max out at three drives and also from putting their servers in cabinets or furniture.

yea i get that… but it’s the closest I can place it to connect it to the rooter

in the NAS Killer build you guys use an HBA, do i really need it in my build also?

They’re there to connect more hard drives than the motherboard can handle with its onboard ports. If you’re installing in a case that can only take three, the mentioned motherboard has enough ports for three SATA drives.
Unless you care to use SAS drives. Then you’d need to add an HBA to use those.

got it.
so the board has enough ports but the case has only 3 bays
do you know if there’s a way i can add the 4th one?

Probably not. Never seen the case though.

1 Like

I would advise against trying to just stick a HDD in a case not properly secured in a 3.5" bay, at least not long term. Vibrations are the bane of spinning rust drives.