Dell Wyse 5070 (new) Celeron J4105, 4GB DDR4, 16GB eMMC - $89.99 + shipping (normally $450)

Just chatted with Dell Support and they were able to give me a part number and price but they had to reach out to the inventory team to see when/if they would be available to purchase anytime soon.

SFP Port: 57GKF and GRNVK -ASSY Pass Through Port Replicator, I/O Port - $46.99

RJ45 Port: 442XR and CFCVN -ASSY Pass Through Port Replicator, I/O Port (ASSY,PPR,I/O,RJ45,) - $42.99

Both seem pricey.

1 Like

Yeah, but considering there’s no other option, I think it’s OK. Consider that a 2 port Intel NIC is around $30 or so.

This website seems to have a lit of parts for the 5070, no clue if they are legit or not. They also price the 442XR at $42.99 just like Dell.

https://itprice.com/dell-price-list/5070.html

according to the Dell documentation, the onboard NIC is a Realtek, is that the case?

The box was looking good for a pfSense build…

I scored a bare motherboard of this same model a couple months back for $15. The cheap m-key pcie adapters didn’t work but the adt-link R52sf worked perfectly with my hp 361t

1 Like

I know this is older post however I have RJ45 Port: 442XR If anyone needs please let me know

1 Like

I’m considering picking up a 5070 to use as Firewall\Router. However, having the 2nd NIC is almost a necessity (although I have a managed switch and could go the 802.1q trunk route if needed). Curious what’s required to add the 2nd NIC? Is it some sort of daughter board that connects internally and then a cable and RJ45 connector that replaces the serial port?

Thanks in advance…

I wouldn’t use a 5070 for a firewall. There are plenty of options with dual NIC out there, single NIC is just a huge pain.

dual nic in these thin clients? is there a thread showcasing these options?

No, there’s not a dual NIC or even an option in the 5070, but there is an option in the 5070 extended.

If I were to get the extended. What would be the best way to power 5 drives off of it’s power supply?

You can’t.

I just grabbed one of the 5070 extended models to turn into a PFsense box. 10w and a 3129 PassMark score sold me on it.

2 Likes

Share some pics!

1 Like

Will do!

1 Like

I just built my pfSense box with the Extended model.

It has been really stable so far. It’s using the Intel I340-T4 and it can route gigabit at ~60% CPU usage with Suricata and pfBlockerNG enabled.

CPU temp is a bit high: 50C idle and 62C when routing gigabit for a couple of seconds. However, the fan is extremely quiet, probably because it spins at a very low speed by default. There’s an option in the BIOS to pin it at full speed, but I did not change that. So I don’t know what the lowest possible temps are.

It also runs on the onboard 16GB eMMC, so no SSD needed.

3 Likes

I did the same thing except with the I340-T2. The case was really easy to work with. I used the onboard 16GB eMMC as well for now. I need to transfer the software over to the m.2 SSD I installed after the initial setup.

Here are some pics of the PCI-e setup in case anyone was interested.

Hello (and apologies for resuming a dormant topic). Can you tell me a bit more about fitting the network card? does it slot in? Or is a riser card of some sort nedded? And what is the profile of the nic? Is it a half height card?

Thanks.

Fitting a network card is only possible with the “extended” variant, which is much larger.

Dell has a secondary NIC in RJ45 and SFP format you can add to the additional slot on the back. Connects via the internal m.2/wifi slot. SFP doesn’t seem very available, but the RJ45 one works great in both the Pentium and Celeron modes.

Dell Part Numbers:
RJ45: 442XR 565JP 9DJC4: New OEM Dell WYSE 5070 RJ 45 Port Daughter board w/ cable - 442XR 565JP 9DJC4 | eBay
SFP: 057GKF: New Genuine Connector SFP I/O Dell OptiPlex Wyse 5070/57GKF 057GKF | eBay

1 Like