Chenbro SR301 - 4 bay Mini-ITX NAS - Seller accepts $90 offers, free shipping

You can use reverse breakout cables without a SAS card.

With only 4 bays, wouldn’t I want to just get a board with 4 ports?

I’m not sure what you’re asking… you need at least 1 SATA port for each bay that you want to use (if you’re using SATA).

If you’re using SAS, you only need a single SFF-8087 or SFF-8643 port. You can use a SAS card like this one:

Yeah, I don’t know much about SAS.
So far I’m planning to use SATA, but should I consider SAS instead? Would it be for folks who already have SAS drives, or are there other benefits over SATA?

And is the reason a card would be needed is because SAS ports aren’t generally built into motherboards? Or cards are better anyway?

Sorry for so many questions, appreciate the help

It’s allegedly six based on JDM’s Youtube video (2x2.5 on the sides?)

Ah, good point.
Also I found this which seems to answer my questions:

So do I understand correctly that you can mix & match SAS and SATA drives?
If so, I can see how another benefit would be flexibility for whatever HDD deal comes around.

What would you want to use the one PCI slot for instead?

Either pcie nvme (like the Samsung one that floats around here periodically) or faster NIC (10/25/40 gbe).

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself. I got one for 90. Might be the fall before I get time to do anything with it. I think my overall goal will be to down size and mainly improve on energy efficiency.

If anyone finds good deals on boards for this please post them. Right now I’m thinking Intel 11th or 12th gen.

Most motherboards have an onboard M.2 NVMe slot if they are fairly current. 10Gb is nice, but not usually necessary on a build this small. 25Gb and 40Gb are definitely not going to happen.

I bought two of these (I might buy a third) for my builds. Going to steal some CPUs from my HP290 farm and use some DDR4 SODIMM I have lying around.

I also bought 2 of these to use as boot drives.

What’s up with the back? No space for a fan? or does that cover come off?

No need for a fan in the rear. There’s one in the front, under the drive cage with a duct.

I have this exact board and I also ordered this case. Interested to see what you end up building with this.

The board presents an interesting challenge with the USB C header on board. Ive not come up with a good way to use it yet. Maybe you will and you will share that with me.

What do you mean with the USB-C header onboard?

See here - X11SCV-Q | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

There is no traditional USB 3.0 header on this board. It has a USB-C rear panel connector thats really only useful with the part I have found here - Supermicro CBL-CUSB-0835 USB 3.1B Key to USB 3.0A Female x2 55cm Cable Ive just not found a good way to use it. its just not connected to anything right now.

Im hoping the chenbro case has standard USB 2.0 connectors so that I can just connect them to the board instead. The Node 304 I currently have this board in does not have USB 2.0 connectors for the front panel.

This cable should do the trick. I don’t see much value in front USB or USB in general on a NAS, though.

Dang, wish I would have read this before I bought an AS Rock B365M-ITXac:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MW8S89F

Besides the additional LAN port, any other benefits to the Supermicro board?

Pickup 2 Chenbro @ $85 each.

I already have 2 x Chenbro NAS build , my feeling is love and hate this chassis.

Cooling is not that good, strange air flow pattern,
Solid construction, no issue with hot swap bay and tray.

But at the current market, it is a good deal.
3 Years ago, I purchased 2 units @ $95 each at Amazon.

Reason for purchase
I have few z490 itx boards, looking for housing.

1 Like

I’d take Supermicro over ASRock any day, from a brand perspective.

Aside from that, the SATA DOM port is nice, it dual NIC (most people don’t need it). The Supermicro also uses SODIMM RAM, which can be a good or a bad thing. I have a bunch laying around, so that was convenient for me.