Building NAS for Plex

Hello,

I’ve already built 2 or 3 computers before but this is my first time building a NAS (which so far looks the same).
My setup is mainly to use with Plex and hosting for around 8-10 users, most of the movies/series are in 720 or 1080p, small part in 4K. There will be 2 to 5 users at the same time, I’m planning to use UnRAID as the OS.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (6-bay) ~128$

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H610M-K D4 ~90€

CPU: Intel core i5-12500 182€

RAM: 2*8GB Kingtson DDR4 ECC 88€

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 80+ Gold 600W ~70€

Total: ~560€

Should I add fans ?

Thanks for your help

That CPU and MOBO does not support ECC RAM. If you want Intel you would have to go for Xeon CPUs or older i3 CPUs, and the motherboards are usually more expensive.

I’m going a different route with Ryzen 3600 and B550 with a Node 804. This allows me to use ECC memory, with the drawback of not having the Intel iGPU for transcoding. I’ll have to get a good GPU for transcoding if I ever need more than the CPU can transcode.

The i5-12500 does support ECC, as stated in the link.

I couldn’t find any MOBO mini-ITX that was doing LGA1700 and ECC. So. I decided to go with the one in the main post.

That doesn’t mean that the motherboard supports ECC.

IMO build a dead simple NAS using refurb enterprise/server grade parts, such as the NAS Killer 4.0 or NAS Killer 5.0, and get a really cheap QuickSync box for dedicated transcoding.

Isn’t a plexbox + a nas consuming more energy than a nas doing plex ?

I’ll keep that in mind, just so I know for my future build are additional fans needed ? Knowing there is one for the CPU.

No, a dedicated QSV box such as the HP 290 or HP S01 consumes about 7 watts of power.

I’m not sure if you need additional fans, can you show some pics of your current setup?

1 Like

I don’t have any setup yet, I’m setting every things up before ordering.

Oh my bad, I didnt know that the later consumer Intel CPUs had ECC support. But yeah, the motherboard you selected does not support the ECC RAM, so you would either have to replace the motherboard or RAM for it to boot at all.