[Build Complete] - 20 Bay L4500 DAS w/ Linked PSUs

i understand this. i just think #2 is cleaner.

careful, those are molded!

https://amzn.to/3qKx1Bn are the non molded fire hazards!

2 Likes

What do you mean molded?

My understanding is that #1 may have a few second delay, and #2 might be almost instantaneous… but I think they do do the same thing, connect the DAS to the other motherboard. so it could be controlled by. the computer…

they are molded plastic around the connectors, they are dangerous and can melt/burn. surprised they even still sell them. the crimped kind like i posted are so much safer.

So I opted for #2 (thanks for all the info) in the end and did a motherboard splitter feeding the split to the back of the computer and ran the DAS motherboard connector out the back of the DAS to connect them together. Works exactly as expected and boots as 1 machine.

My only issue now is to extend the splitter since its really tight getting to the back of the case from where it connects on the board. I was just going to use a motherboard extension cable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Modeshell-Motherboard-1-Pack-Extension-Cables/dp/B07Q3QG2DF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=motherboard+extension&qid=1614411132&sr=8-1

But all I really need are the 2 power wires… I could do the split and recrimp but I am a little worried about my own skills to do that (and don’t have extra wires lying around I could split with. I also don’t really want to mess with screwing with power and messing up the DAS. If anyone has any other thoughts that would be great. if I were going todo that, what guage wire and would i have to solder the connections? Frankly just buying another $10 extension cable might just be simpler… :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Would you please post a couple of pictures showing what’s going on just to be clear?

Scrolling up, I posted this image showing what wires to extend.

Just above the image, I link the connectors that I used. And here’s a link to the crimping tool, which works great and is cheap. These should give you a good idea for what to buy. Soldering is not needed at all. The whole thing works super slick.