Any concerns with Dell or HP LGA2011-3 boards for a NAS build?

I’m scouting a new or used LGA2011-v3 based board for a DIY FreeNAS build. I’ve found several workstation boards that seemingly fit the bill here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lga+2011-3+motherboard+-asus&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_fspt=1&_fsrp=1&_pgn=1

I’ve been looking at Supermicro variants of these boards and they are 2-4x more expensive. I’ve had very good luck with Dell equipment in the past, not bad with HP. However, I’ve recently heard rumors of several vendors (Intel, HP, etc.) pulliing older firmware from their websites; I don’t want to be in a position where I can’t support the board later on.

The CPUs that are driving this search include (both are LGA2011-v3):

Model Speed Power Passmark
Xeon E5-2640 V3 2.60 GHz 90W 13864
Xeon E5-2630 V3 2.40 GHz 85W 12797

Any concerns with these boards for an 8x10tb FreeNAS build? If so, any alternative recommendations?

Is there a particular reason you’re looking at V3 over regular LGA2011?

I started the CPU/MB search by looking at PassMark CPU Value Chart - Performance / Price of available CPUs for the best values and settled on one of these 4 in terms of PassMark perf:

Model Speed Power Passmark Socket
Xeon E5-2650 2.00GHz 95W 10265 LGA2011
Xeon E5-2650 V2 2.60GHz 95W 13244 FCLGA2011
Xeon E5-2640 V3 2.60GHz 90W 13864 LGA2011-v3
Xeon E5-2630 V3 2.40GHz 85W 12797 LGA2011-v3

Mostly for newer vs older hardware and price/performance.

Their price to performance is based on retail pricing, which isn’t valid in the real world.

Check out our own CPU comparison spreadsheet. We combine data from a bunch of places and put it in one spot.

2011-3 motherboards are more expensive, the CPUs are more expensive, and most importantly you’re forced into using very expensive DDR4. The potential performance gains are minimal compared to builds such as the #builds:anniversary-nsfw.

Interesting… I had seen another spreadsheet, but not this one. Good stuff!

I can def get a good deal on a CPU here. I’d like to try and keep this build to a single CPU vs dual; I’d like to keep heat and noise to a minimum and I was advised on reddit that a dual CPU setup would prob be pretty loud.

I was also looking at the [Guide] Anniversary 2.0 “SNAFU” - Server Needs a Friggin’ Upgrade I had hoped to keep the mobo $$ < $100, but the Supermicro boards (which are prob my favs) are averaging around $200. I guess you get what you pay for…

If I get one of the dual CPU boards, can I populate only 1 CPU initially? How does that work? Is it specific to the board, or always an option? I have an old Dell precision workstation from 10 years back that I only ordered a single CPU for at the time. Not if/how things have changed…

Given this article, and the specific mention of the E5-* chips and LGA2011 boards, I think the answer to the above is NO: Answered: Can I use one CPU in a dual processor motherboard?

Yes, you can use a single CPU setup in a dual CPU board.
It may disable some of the PCIe slots or devices, but that’ll be up to the individual board. Some it will have no effect at all.