Hi guys, I’m new here so please let me know if I’m posting in the wrong place.
So my current server (used for Plex - Lenovo H50-50) just had a motherboard failure, so I figure it is time for me to build one myself. I’m not super familiar with this hardware (especially the server-grade stuff), so I was hoping I could solicit some feedback from you guys. I’ve based my build off of Hey_Danny’s Mid-Range Full Tower (Anniversary 2.0), but have a handful of questions.
I currently have 5 total (4-12TB) drives that I want to shuck and have inside the case.
- 2x Xeon E5-2650 V2 2.6GHz - 9957 passmark - $110 (ebay)
2x Xeon E5-2650 V3 2.3GHz - 11787 passmark - $150 (ebay)
- 2x Arctic Freezer 12 - $52 (amazon)
X9DR3-LN4F+ - $110 (ebay)
- X9DRL-IF - $185 (ebay)
- X9DRH-7F - $150 (ebay)
- Rosewill RSV-L4500
** Can’t find one of these anywhere?
- Phanteks Enthoo Pro - $150 (amazon)
** Can this be found cheaper?
- Antec Three Hundred Two - $90 (amazon)
** Is this compatible with either of the MOBO’s?
- 4x Samsung PC3-8500R 16GB - $132 (amazon)
** Is There a cheaper option for this?
- 1x (4x16GB) PC3-8500R 4Rx4 DDR3 ECC - $99 (ebay)
- EVGA 650 BQ - $80 (amazon)
- Cooler Master 500 Bronze - $65 (amazon)
- Gelid GC Extreme - $15 (amazon)
- Arctic P12 5 Pack - $28 (amazon)
- LSI SAS9201-8i PCIe x8 6Gbps - $29 (ebay)
** If no onboard SAS
- 2-pack SAS->SATA breakout - $14 (amazon)
- RETERMIT Heat Tape - $4 (amazon)
- Do I need an ESD mat/strap?
- Can I just drop my SSD with Windows 10 installed in the new machine and it will work?
- Would this RAM work for those MOBO’s?
- Is there anything else I need for this build? Power cables etc?
This all totals $649-$839. Some of the items were quite a bit more expensive than they were listed in the guide so I was hoping I could maybe find some alternatives.
Looking forward to hearing from some folks that actually know what they’re doing.