My current Windows desktop is showing its age. It was built about 6 years ago and while I use it for a bit of everything, I mainly use it as my primary gaming system. I’m either going to pass my current system down to my daughter to replace her current laptop that she uses for Sims and Minecraft or find some other misc use for it.
My plan was to build an Anniv 2.0 system and use it to replace my also aging Plex server that is running on Windows and look to migrate to Unraid. I’m not overly comfortable with it, but am making progress with spinning things up in an old Optiplex 9020 tower from work.
I currently have the following:
- 8TB (main drive in current Unraid 9020)
- 8TB and 10TB (NIB and ready to be shucc’d)
- 5x 4TB HGST (currently in Windows 10/Drivepool Plex Server)
- Define R5 (NIB - previous build that didn’t go anywhere)
- EVGA 850 G2 (NIB - previous build that didn’t go anywhere)
- Rosewill RSV-L4500 (bought on sale and still in box)
- Rosewill RSV-L4000 (given to me by someone clearing out equipment)
- PNY Quadro P400 (currently in Unraid 9020)
- F80 (currently in Unraid 9020, from group buy)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (in current main build)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW (available from previous upgrade)
- Basic Unraid license
I’ve been hiding away gift cards that I’ve gotten from various things, as well as my Amazon Rewards credits that I figured I may be able to buy eBay credit with, but I’m not sure where to go. Do I build “one system for everything” or split things up and give myself a gaming build and then build a Plex/server build for everything else. As it stands, I am OK with the drives I have, but wanted room to expand in the future.
I’ve done computer builds over the years and am fairly regularly taking computers apart for work, but servers are a whole new world for me. I stumbled across this community and have been taking a whole lot in, but am at the point of needing to make a move or I’m not going to go anywhere.
What I want to end up with is a system that will let me push a handful of streams with some transcoding going on (possibly eventually scripted to not require transcodes) and maybe push 4K when our TV finally bites the dust. I have my aforementioned 1060 GB and a 27" Dell 144/1440 monitor that I’d like to play games on at a reasonable rate/resolution. I can’t quite pull off RDR2 and I really want to enjoy it when I do. I just don’t know if I do it all at once or split it up into two systems with my various parts.
TIA for any feedback.
(Forgot to mention - I think I have about $450 or so in cards/credits available. I’d like to keep it around there if possible, but am OK with going lower now and upgrading CPU later, etc.)