8TB Shucked Drives Wouldn't Post

Just as a preface, I’ve already re-assembled the drives and returned them successfully but am asking for future knowledge.

Anyways, I have 2 6x4TB zpools on my TrueNAS box and 3 drives were showing pre-fail in smartctl. I had one spare 4TB drive and bought 2x8TB WD Elements drives. I shucked the drives and found 2x WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0. I tested them before shucking them and they worked fine and passed the long smartctl tests. I formatted them and installed them in my NAS and I couldn’t get either to post no matter what I tried. From everything I read these do not require a 3.3v mod. I tried other drives on the same cables I used for them and ruled out power/data connection issues. I tried formatting them as ext4 and swapping them from GPT to MBR with no luck. Even after shucking them I plugged them into an external docking station I have and the power on and showed up fine on my PC. So… long way of asking, does anyone have experience with these drives in TrueNAS/FreeBSD with a SAS2008 expander?

Did you try the 3.3v mod then?

I need to go pick up some of the polyimide tape but will probably try again when I’m not worried about replacing failing drives and have more time to test and mess around with them. The thing I don’t get, is if it needed the 3.3v mod, wouldn’t it not work in the docking station? This is the one I was using to test https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07415KV63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1