60 bay storinator - $1k + $200 shipping

2 Likes

4 Likes

I went ahead and upgraded it a fair bit. Here’s new photos

2 Likes

Update: Runs great, but it has a couple of issues.
The Zippy PSUs are very, very loud. This thing needs to be in a basement, closed away from everything. Wouldn’t be an issue if I had a basement.
Other thing, it is picky about RAM. That mostly comes down to the motherboard. It won’t take Unbuffered PC3-12800E RAM. Maybe I just don’t understand how RAM works, but I thought this would be compatible.
If anyone has any advice for the PSU loudness problem, please let me know. It’s driving me insane. I want to run it, but it is so damned loud. It makes even my 1st gen Unifi 24 port 250w switch seem quiet, and I thought THAT was loud.

Rito Plz

Some new fans and a shady solder job, and now the new server runs great and quiet! Though, on boot, the warning about slow fan speed will beep. I call it the infernal beep. Seriously annoying.
Slapped the bastard on one of the $85 enterprise UPS’ and called it good.
Overall, I think this thing was worth the money. Hot plug drives make it worthwhile, and since I’m not really storing much other than media, I can just deal with only having 8GB of RAM.
Next, I need to finish filling all 60 drive bays. But that will happen over time.

In case the eBay listing goes down, here are the specs from the listing

Storinator XL60 60-bay 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s High Density Storage Server 4U

• 4U 60 bay storage server
  • Intel Core i3-3240 3.40GHz CPU
  • Supermicro X9SCM-F Motherboard
  • 8gb of DDR3-1333 ECC Memory
  • 2x HighPoint Rocket 750 40 Channel SATA 6Gbps PCIe 2.0 8x HBA Controller Cards
  • 2x 1400W Redundant Power Supplies

This unit is designed to be used with 3.5" SATA Hard Drives by simply inserting bare drives (no caddy/tray required).

I upgraded the CPU to an E3-1270 V2, and if anyone can point me to an eBay listing for 32GB of compatible RAM, I would greatly appreciate it.

where can i find it?