18 3.5" Drive N400 (NK6 ish)

I threw this together 2 years ago as an offsite backup server. The goal was to push the limits of the N400 chassis, and attempt to install 18 3.5" drives. I had the CPU, motherboard, memory, and power supply lying around from another project. 12 of the 3TB drives came from a previous NAS I had, and the remaining 6 were purchased from a friend. I was under time pressure to complete this build, so it remains very unpolished.

At the time, I had a working theory on how to cram 5 additional 3.5" drives into the optical drive bays in the N400. After looking through many of the N400 pictures available online, I was pretty sure this plan would work.

Pics

I know the cable management is awful, follow the recommendations below to avoid my fate.

General theory

While I did manage to squeeze 18 drives into my N400, I wouldn’t recommend anyone actually use the vertical mount. That leaves us with 16 3.5" drives, and 15 if you leave out the bottom bonus slot with poor airflow.

Drive location breakdown

• 8x 3.5" drives in the 8 stock 3.5" bays
  • 1x 3.5" drive below the stock 3.5" bays
  • 5x 3.5" drives in the 2(.75) 5.25 optical drive bays
  • 2x 3.5" drives mounted to the side intake fan mounts
  • 2x 3.5" drives “mounted” vertically to the PSU (not recommended)

Optical bay drives

The drives located in the optical bays are secured with something similar to the “5 in 3” drive cages available for sale. I designed and 3D printed a custom cage to make this work. Each drive has two plastic sliders screwed into it, and the drives slide in from the inside of the case. This isn’t the greatest design, since I can’t really take out the drive closest to the motherboard without removing said motherboard :frowning:. A 120mm fan is mounted on the front of the cage to provide cooling to the drives.

Looking back at the photos, it looks like I had to bend back the metal tabs that usually support the top optical drive. Easily solvable with a pair of pliers

Side mounted drives

The drives located on the side intake fan mounts were enabled by two 120mm fan to 3.5" drive brackets I also designed and 3D printed. They screw in to the drives from the bottom, and are mounted in the 120mm fan slots. Cooling could be better here, but there is plenty of room for mounting some slim fans.

PSU “mounted” drives

I screwed some custom 3D printed brackets into a plate I attached to the PSU. The drives aren’t really secured in the vertical direction, so they will fall out if you tip the machine over. This is objectively a bad design and a bad spot for these drives, please don’t do this. I’ve since removed mine from this spot.

Specs

Part Model Price Source
CPU Intel i7-8700 had had
MB MSI Z370 Krait Gaming had had
RAM 4x16GB DDR4 ?? MT/s had had
PSU Thermaltake something had had
HBA Dell H200 IT mode had had
Case Cooler Master N400 $90 in 2022 Amazon
Expander Dell 5R10N ~$30 in 2022 eBay
Drives Seagate 3TB $25 each in 2020 Someone on reddit
Cable SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 breakout cable $13 each eBay

Lessons learned

1. The specific SAS expander I used made the cable management difficult
    1. Don’t use a SAS expander at all, get a 16i HBA and be done with it - ASR-71605 was OOS when I was building this
    2. If a SAS expander is necessary or desired, get an HP style one and shove it in the least important PCIe slot
  2. The drives in the 3D printed cage should probably come out the front
    1. This isn’t 100% trivial, as there is a metal lip on the front of the case the drive guide will need to clear. This lip could be moved, or the drives could possibly be offset more towards the bottom of the cage
  3. Don’t mount random stuff to the PSU (it got the job done though)
  4. Don’t attempt the 18 drive config, 15 or 16 is the sweet spot
  5. All hail N400

Recommendations

I would wholeheartedly recommend the 15 and 16 drive configs in this case.

If anyone is interested, I can look around for the CAD files for the 3D printed parts. I know I still have them, I just haven’t had a chance to look

1 Like

This is a great build and certainly makes great use of the N400.

How about the fan mounts on the top of the case? Can you stick another couple drives up there with a bracket? It would probably block you from removing the drives in the 5 1/8 bay, but probably easier to remove a couple of drives than the motherboard.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I love it

Especially the one lone 3.5" drive on the middle that doesn’t have a fan. Poor little bastard

1 Like

I think you’re right, 2-3 more drives could definitely be mounted there. If I were to redesign my 5.25 drive cage so the drives slid out the front, it wouldn’t even prevent you from swapping drives!

That guy is currently chilling at 36C, I don’t think he deserves your sympathy :laughing:

This is sweet! Great job!