Supermicro 24bay 4U question

Good Evening everyone I was hoping to get some assistance as I am completely confused even though I have tried to read everything I can find to help me figure it out.

I am looking at these two servers being sold by metservers for my Unraid 24 bay 4 u rackmount build.

and

Far as I can tell the cases and backplane are the same with the only major difference is one has the motherboard X9DRi-F and the other has X9DRi-LN4F+, along with one having 1200W gold power supply while the other has 920W platinum.

This is where I am confused, the one that comes with the X9DRi-F also comes with the LSI 9210-8i IT mode controller, while the X9DRi-LN4F+ does not come with one.

Will I be able to use the X9DRi-LN4F+ with the on board controller to manage the backplane instead of requiring the LSI 9210-8i IT mode controller? Or will I have to buy a controller?

I’ve tried to read through the Supermicro documentation but I just do not know enough about server hardware to make a definitive decision. Also emailed metservers but they have not responded as of yet.

Thank you for taking the time to assist me!

1 Like