Server Build Help - GA-7PESH2?

I’m a newbie with moderate tech knowledge and limited time. I’m trying to figure out how to adapt the build guides to my use cases and to the items I already have on hand. Can anyone offer some help?

I’m considering the Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 motherboard, but I also see some people having problems with this.

DESIRED TRAITS of SERVER:

• Easy setup (I want to minimize the possibility of, say, spending 50 hrs messing with the BIOS or whatever)
  • Future-proof (I’d like to have this be powerful enough to handle most tasks, although I don’t anticipate it ever serving more than 1 or 2 people at a time).
  • Robustness (I’d like this to last for several years, so I want to prioritize parts that won’t crap out on me).
  • Quiet

USE CASES of SERVER

• Media server for editing of 4k raw video (these are massive files from my camera)
  • Backup of critical documents, pictures, etc.
  • Plex
  • Hackintosh?
  • Other things TBD

WHAT I ALREADY HAVE

• Rosewill server chassis (RSV-L4000)
  • Dual Xeon x2011 Thinkstation D30 Motherboard that MIGHT be operational (I don’t have to use this, but it’s on hand)
  • 32GB RAM (4x8GB) PC3-10600R DDR3-1333MHz 2Rx4 Reg ECC Hynix
  • iStarUSA 5-bay trayless SATA HD hot swappable unit (fills the three 5.25" bays in the Rosewill)
  • 4x 10TB WD SATA HDs (yet to be shucked)

Thank you for reading all this, I know it’s a lot to ask!
Danny

You seem to be thinking that offering $10 would help your cause (motivate more people to help you). I have news for you - it has the opposite effect. It does not change the fact that you want free consulting services. Which is perfectly ok. Just ask for free no obligations help and many people would offer however little help they are comfortable with providing for free. Offering beer money up front ruins this dynamics. Act of kindness becomes a transaction. You are forcing your potential helpers to become responsible for the outcome of your project. Many people who would have otherwise offered their expertise are going to ignore you now.

You might as well forget about the 7pesh2. They are gone. My suggestion is to look at the anniversary 2.0 SNAFU build. I would think it would cover most of your requests and is basically already laid out in a shopping list. Link - [Guide] Anniversary 2.0 "SNAFU" - Server Needs a Friggin' Upgrade

Totally understand that now that I think about it!
I had asked for help on other forums but didn’t get any responses, so I was feeling a little helpless. Thanks for your feedback!

I see several “GA-7PESH2 Gigabyte Intel Rev 0.2” boards on eBay. I’m assuming those would be fine? Apparently these ones shouldn’t be updated and so are only compatible with v1 CPUs, but that doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker?

Yeah, those have been around a while and they were discussed on the discord. I don’t think they were ever actually released and were beta boards. The recommendation was to not buy one. I would still go with something from the anniv 2 guide.

I found your response unwarranted, please try sticking to the poster’s questions and maybe after advice related to those questions instead.

Hey Danny, as stated above me Rev 0.2 boards are not commercially released motherboards and them only supporting V1 CPUs is in fact an issue for what you’re attempting to do. In my opinion, I’d recommend you separating some of the duties you need done.

I’d recommend getting a laptop of your choosing to edit your RAW video needs. Then either build a NAS for just your storage needs and then buy/build a Transcoding PC/Laptop to handle your Plex needs.

You can combine your NAS and Transcoding needs since you don’t seem to require a lot of streams of Plex.

If you go the route of separating your NAS and Transcoding, build a NAS Killer 4.0/4.1.

If you’re going to combine then, following the SNAFU build guide.

Lastly, you’re not going to be able to “Hackintosh” in the sense you’re thinking. That’s maybe something you’ll want to do in a different build.

1 Like

Oh, for context I should say that I had initially offered to Venmo a few bucks over as a gesture of thanks if anyone could help me figure out my weird and specific build specs. I edited that out based on their feedback.

Ahh, got it, thank you!

Thanks Coz! Very helpful. There’s a lot I need to think about. I really should just get something simple/cheap running asap and then circle back from there.

Definitely don’t do this. You’ll find that you wasted money that you can’t recover. Take your time, ask for help and buy accordingly. You can always come to the discord to get quicker responses.

I agree with this entirely.

Thank you, great advice. Will do.