I’m a newbie with moderate tech knowledge and limited time. I’m trying to figure out how to adapt the build guides to my use cases and to the items I already have on hand. Can anyone offer some help?
I’m considering the Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 motherboard, but I also see some people having problems with this.
DESIRED TRAITS of SERVER:
- Easy setup (I want to minimize the possibility of, say, spending 50 hrs messing with the BIOS or whatever)
- Future-proof (I’d like to have this be powerful enough to handle most tasks, although I don’t anticipate it ever serving more than 1 or 2 people at a time).
- Robustness (I’d like this to last for several years, so I want to prioritize parts that won’t crap out on me).
USE CASES of SERVER
- Media server for editing of 4k raw video (these are massive files from my camera)
- Backup of critical documents, pictures, etc.
- Other things TBD
WHAT I ALREADY HAVE
- Rosewill server chassis (RSV-L4000)
- Dual Xeon x2011 Thinkstation D30 Motherboard that MIGHT be operational (I don’t have to use this, but it’s on hand)
- 32GB RAM (4x8GB) PC3-10600R DDR3-1333MHz 2Rx4 Reg ECC Hynix
- iStarUSA 5-bay trayless SATA HD hot swappable unit (fills the three 5.25" bays in the Rosewill)
- 4x 10TB WD SATA HDs (yet to be shucked)
Thank you for reading all this, I know it’s a lot to ask!