pfSense 1U Rack Build Complete

Since my prev post was one of those lost to the “rollback” I’ll repost.
This is a 1U rack mount build based on JDM’s and COZisBack’s parts. I will list what I used with price and where I sourced it from. Build pics will follow. The WiFi network card is optional if you already have AP’s or just want to re-purpose your existing router.

Type Part Price Source
CPU INTEL i5-3470T 2.90GHz $22.99 eBay
Motherboard Intel DQ77KB Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard w/ IO Shield $50.00 eBay
CPU Cooler Silverstone Tek NT07-115X Super Slim Profile CPU Cooler $24.99 eBay
Case Fans 2 x Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM $29.90 Amazon
RAM 4GB (2x2GB) Micron SO-DIMM PC3-12800 DDR3 Laptop Memory (MT8JTF25664HZ-1G6M1) $8.10 eBay
SSD TCSUNBOW mSATA Mini PCIe 60GB $19.99 Amazon
Network Card Dell YT674 H092P HM9JY D99232 PRO/1000VT Quad Port Gigabit Server Card FP $20.00 eBay
Riser Card Extension PCI-Express PCI-E 4X Slot Riser Card Flexible Ribbon Extension Cable $7.74 eBay
WiFi Network Card Intel AX200 network card WiFi 6 802.11ax/ac 2.4/5G MU-MIMO Bluetooth 5.0 Antenna $16.90 eBay
Case iStarUSA D Value D-118V2-ITX 1U Rackmount Mini-ITX Server Chassis $38.68 Amazon
Power Supply HP 677777-003 AC ADAPTER 90W $19.99 eBay
Total $259.28

13 Likes

Nice, compact build!

I really like it. I think I’m going to do something like this also, but I’d like to build it with a Ryzen CPU. Any advice on what horsepower would be necessary for my Gigabit Fiber? I plan on doing traffic shaping using TC, and probably gonna run the linux.

you want to make a pfSense router based off a ryzen cpu? That would be a very overkill router.

For gigabit fiber action, you could get by with a Celeron, like the $100 HP box people have been snatching up like crazy.

1 Like

That’s much cheaper than I expected. Also good to know. I do have some picky requirements, like being able to do traffic shaping and stuff. My current router is a Mikrotik RB800. Thanks for the info!

What has your experience been? I purchased a PC from eBay, but it won’t boot up. Hopefully I’ll find a resolution, but what I really want is a 1u or 2u solution, even if I have to slowly piece it together

So, it’s been about a year and I have had no downtime that wasn’t my own fault. I have learned to make a backup FIRST before I mess with anything though. Even if I think it’s a simple change. Been rock solid and couldn’t be happier with how it performs. We are a family of 5, 3 teenagers and 2 parents gaming and streaming video simultaneously. Didn’t even blink at the extra strain with all of us either on school zoom meetings or work meetings. Just an edit to add that I didn’t use the WiFi module I bought, I may pull the 4-port card out to use it someday, since I am using the on-board ports.

Here is my current uptime and temp.

Running several vLANs

3 Likes

Thank you!

Is this the same mother board? It doesn’t say “executive edition”, but they look the same.

Yes looks like it is the same board.

Thanks again for all of your help and photos! Most of my parts should arrive by the end of the week, though USPS has been wildly unpredictable since November…

The one part that I’m not 100% sure on is the PCI-E extension. Does this look like the one you purchased? PCI-Express PCI-E 1X Riser Card Ribbon Extender Extension Flex Relocate Cable | eBay

I think you link a 1x PCIe extension but I think the board has a 4x slot. What are you plugging in? You should probably get the 4x extension cable.

I’m obviously not an expert on PC hardware lol. I’m finding a ton of 1x and 16x riser cables, but I’ll keep searching

I’m no expert either. You should double check your motherboard specs and if you are putting a quad nic in just double check what slot it needs.

I couldn’t find any on Ebay, but I found one searching Amazon with search “PCI-Express PCI-E 4X Slot Riser Card Flexible Ribbon Extension Cable” https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BWWGGB7/

Thank you so much! I had found one on AliExpress, but it’d be springtime before it arrived lol

I bought a bunch off ebay for various builds/projects but the post is no longer there.

You would want something like this I believe for a quad port nic:

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s help on this! I have two more questions…

1. It appears as though there are brass risers that are raising the motherboard? Any suggestions on where to source these? The mount for the CPU cooler is touching the chassis, so I’m guessing that I need something similar.

2. Any suggestions on where to mount a 2.5" SSD?

Edit: It looks like the SSD mounts to the chassis near the front USB ports

Yes you 100% need the motherboard standoffs or you could short the board. Honestly I have tons of them from all the builds I have done over a couple decades. https://www.amazon.com/Sutemribor-Personal-Computer-Standoffs-Motherboard/dp/B07F71KFMQ/ Correct the m.2 ssd mounts behind the USBs next to the SATA ports.

1 Like

This case has standoffs built-in already, but they are very short and the CPU backplate makes it difficult to install. The plastic sheet in the case is there to prevent shorts; you do not need to install additional brass ones, though it may make installation a little easier.

I’m finding that I have to order some standoffs now that I’m working to mount the cooler’s backplate.

This is stupid, but I"m struggling with the I/O shield lining up - was this an issue for you? it keeps wanting to spring “up” toward the top of the case.