[Official] WD External Shuckables - Price Tracking

My most recent Elements were WDC101, non-helium and ran hot because of it. Fair warning.

2 Likes

8TB WD Easystore External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $120 + Free Shipping On Ebay Through Slickdeals

WD 8TB Easystore at lowest price - $119.99

WD Model Capacity Expected Price Expected Price/TB Lowest Price Lowest Price/TB Last Lowest Date, Source Amazon Ebay Best Buy B&H Newegg
Easystore 8 TB $134.99 $16.87 $119.99 $15.00 7/23/20 BB@ebay link link

Sold out for now on Best Buy

10TB Easystore at expected price - $169.99 (ebay, BestBuy)

WD Model Capacity Expected Price Expected Price/TB Lowest Price Lowest Price/TB Last Lowest Date, Source Amazon Ebay Best Buy B&H Newegg
Easystore 10 TB $169.99 $17.00 $159.99 $16.00 2/13/20 BB@ebay link link

WD 8TB Easystore below expected price - $129.99 (ebay)

Easystore 8 TB $134.99 $16.87 $119.99 $15.00 7/23/20 BB@ebay link link

I just bought an 8TB easystore fron Bestbuy and the white label is looking different from the old ones. Are these still same as Red or Blue?

The WD80EZAZ is a perfectly fine drive. It’s not helium, but it’s still enterprise-grade.

Great thank you so no BS about them getting hot or helium or …

Nope, they are just regular hard drives. They are good to go.

1 Like

From user feedback (Reddit discussion below), the WD80EDAZ seem to run about 10 deg c hotter than the WD80EZAZ helium counterpart. If you consider the fact that WD put these in a plastic case with no active cooling then they must be confident that heat is not an issue. Assuming you have adequate cooling in your rig then you shouldn’t have any issues. The Reddit believes they are Ultrastar HC320 drives slowed down to 5400RPM.

As JDM_WAAAT mentioned you are good to go, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reddit Discussion - https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/g61kvi/wd_mybook_8tb_wd80edaz_drive_inside/

1 Like

I’ve seen literally one person complain about it. Helium will run cooler, but both operate well within normal operating temperatures.

FYI 12TB on sale for $189.99 at Best Buy right now.

Awesome thank you, I ended up adding this to my unRaid. It is running about 3 degrees hotter than my other drives but so far so good.

12TB Easystore below expected price - $189.99 (ebay, BestBuy)

Toggle visible columns

Easystore 12 TB $199.99 $16.67 $179.99 $15.00 4/2/20 BB@ebay link link

12tb elements on amazon for 175 Amazon 12tb Elements.

Little surprised to see a lot of qc issue reviews on Amazon for that drive.

I just bought 3 and I have 5 others that I have shucked. I did have to send one of the 5 back for replacement as the drive checked out on hd sentry but ran hot and had horrible data xfr rates. It wasn’t a problem to do the exchange and the replacement checked out and has been in use since.

I wouldn’t mind the amazon reviews much.

Any idea whats inside the new easystores?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425301.p?skuId=6425301