[Official] U-NAS 8-bay Mini-ITX NAS (OTiS - 8th/9th gen Intel)

This is a different guy. Why are comparing two different sellers…

That’s a really good point.

I goofed and ordered a HP 487738-001 expander without a bracket. Didn’t even think to check.

Ebay has no standalone brackets, holes don’t line up to mount the card to the case.

Best way to zip tie mount this? It’s a das build so the whole mobo bay is clear.

Edit: I was able to secure it to one of the rising standoffs. Between that and the small riser car its supported well enough.

1 Like

What a doozy this build was, my first LSI SAS9207-8e was DOA so I had to order a second, since I had never used one it was hard to troubleshoot. Then I ran into the issue with the HP expander card not having the bracket but it was still able to be mounted in the 8bay case.

I put two wd140edfz drives in here so far, one worked no problem and the other needed the 3.3v mod to work. Both are the same model, so that was a bit perplexing. However it’s all done now, and another 26 TB online to bring me up to around 50TB total.

I changed both the fans and the sata cables that it came with.

2 Likes

What is the HBA in the second-to-last photo @Whousomecat ?

@Bretos that’s the HP expander card, HP 487738-001. I went with it so I didn’t need to buy two 6’ SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables and a breakout back plate. The expander card is slow, but with the shucked drives it should not matter.

Put together a build today using the ASRock Rack C236 WSI motherboard referenced below OP. I wanted to use the PCIe for something else so I needed to go with 8x SATA on the motherboard. Also used the Arctic Alpine 12 LP because it’s much cheaper new and I was on a timeline so I couldn’t wait for the Noctua NH-L9I to pop up on ebay for a similar price.

The CPU socket is located in a slightly different location on the ASRock motherboard and that led to two arms of the Alpine hitting the case. There were three contact points in total. One arm hit the HDD backplane and one arm hit both the backplane and the HDD cage.

Imgur

Since cutting two arms off was out of the question and I needed the build done on a schedule I tried to just shave the arms down. It was quite successful so I figured I’d post about it. The plastic shaves pretty easily. Makes the sound that a boot makes when going through fresh snow. I think that means it’s nylon. I’d advise using a fresh razor and taking many shallow shaves because pushing directly down into the plastic while cutting #1 caused it to fracture. Thankfully the fracture remained within the area I ultimately removed.

Imgur

Quite happy that I didn’t need to cut any arms off. I took some photos with a ruler and they’re posted here.

Just curious, any reason you chose to go with the C236 WSI Mobo (this doesn’t have any m.2 slots right?) vs. a mobo with two m.2 slots (which each can support 5 SATA ports using one of those $50 M.2 to SATA adapters)?

Nice build btw!

No particular reason, just hadn’t considered that route. I can confirm this board does not have any M.2 interfaces.

I’ve been digging into this unas case a bit, do you think I can get SAS3 (12Gbps) working on this backplane?

Not without switching the backplane, no.

Wait really? Are they not just direct passthrough?
I guess I could test this out myself in a couple days if the 10k rpm spinners I ordered from Bitdeals are SAS3.

I think you’d really know the difference with SAS3 SSDs. Not sure you would be able to tell the difference with SAS3 HDDs.

For home uses, if we run a few vm’s or other routine (for here) things: will sas3 ssd on a sas3 card show a recognized speed difference over a consumer sata drive on the same card?

Hey @JDM_WAAAT what is the expected power usage for this sort of setup? I have an HP Microserver Gen10 that idles around 14w and some HP 290s that only pull around 10w.

I just built an 8 bay NAS to replace my microserver using a G4900, 16GB DDR4, Asrock H370 motherboard, and EVGA 650GT PSU. Drawing around 25w from the wall while idle, and while that’s not much I was hoping to get closer to the HP 290 given I was using the same CPU. Is it pretty much impossible to get that low of power draw with ATX parts?

It won’t be as low, but it should be in the 20 watt range without drives - which should be plenty low.

1 Like

Clever

Is there any other alternatives for B365M-ITX ? It’s not available in my country.

I had been hanging on to this case for a future build since this came out and just got around to the build. I also had to do the 3.3v mod with tape over the pins.