[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

I had a repurposed old server for the longest time and have since been upgrading it with the help of everyone in this forum/discord but this was the first time I bought new appliances. I have a 290 now as a QS box and one for my pfSense.

Preference for #2

1 Like

ENTRY

I loved the NAS 4.0 post and the adsb raspbery pi. I learnt a lot about NAS as well as built two ADSB transmitters for two places.

Definitely trying to convert the NAS with iGPU for transcoding plex media server. Its always a pleasure to read about what others have been doing with their setup or what new project they have been working on. Also the discord chat for tech deals have been great for finding out great deals on tech products

Preference for 1

ENTRY

I’ve been a lurker for some time. I love… LOVE the detailed photos and step-by-steps as well as all the gotcha’s that are pointed out. This build I keep contemplating but still have room on the current Synology and, well the budget for the drives after the build as well. Thanks for all that you do and keep it up.

ENTRY

The best post I’ve read here is selfishly the NK 4.0 as it made me realize the potential uses for my old unused hardware. I now have a killer (pun intended) Unraid NAS and it’s all thanks to that guide! Had I not come across SB and that post, I’d probably have sunk too much money into a QNAP or other commercial NAS product, not only wasting money but also increasing my environmental footprint rather than re-using equipment I already had.

Winning Package 1 would be epic, but I’d feel extremely lucky with either honestly.

ENTRY

This was the guide that convinced me to obsessively check the ServerBuild discord chat every day! I love the combined knowledge of this community and the above guide by JDM was such a meticulously crafted guide that even my 5-year old could follow along. I’m still waiting on a few parts that should arrive around Christmas weekend but this guide itself definitely convinced me to build my own OTiS NAS server.

Prize Preference: Package 1

ENTRY

This was my first entry into this forum. It led me to the HP290 post which has my plex server on it now, and eventually back full circle to building my first unraid box out of my old i5-2500 pc. Definitely love the help this community gives towards people looking to repurpose used gear to make some great homelabs.

1 Like

ENTRY

My favorite post is a very popular one, it’s the post that made me find this forum and start my “I have a server” life. All I wanted was to remove my collection of movies and TV shows from my main computer to a computer that could serve the movies to the TV. It started with left over parts from my old computer and grew as more opportunities were made available to me by this forum, both hardware wise and capabilities wise, all because of that little thread. I love it, and I love all the work that is put onto this community - even though I can’t personally offer much.

My prize preference is Package 2

1 Like

ENTRY

I definitely felt like I came along way as I started from almost zero knowledge as a newb, learning pretty much everything starting from the ground up building my NAS (my first computer build in the last link) and using a QUICKSync box as a PlexTranscoder from an old HP ProDesk 400 G4, and everything has came along great. I have around 38TB and Plex is smooth. I never even booted a linux image to a computer before before I attempted this and I learned a lot about unRAID as well. Before this solution I was using three 4tb external drives for my life’s data and trying to stream plex with 1 of the external HDDs attached directly to my router using a very old laptop that has issues transcoding. It sucked.

Anyways, the first two guides have I read and reread so many times and it lead me to more and more research and the last link is my build post that I will eventually add pictures and document even further. The only thing left for me now is adding a pfsense or opnsense router to start locking down and securing my home network, which I’d use package 1 for!! Thanks JDM_WAAAT!!! Sub’d to Youtube and the discord as well!!

1 Like

ENTRY

Had made the significant upgrade from an old Dell that was acting as a server, decided to get serious about it. Get a NAS Killer 2.0 setup, and was over the moon with how it all worked out. Even took the plunge into UNRAID as a result.

And then the beeping after reboots. The hung server. “Dad/husband/buddy, I can’t get to the server…”…go press F1, sigh, repeat every so often.

Until I had enough, did a search, and within seconds…

tpittari’s efforts gave me peace. In 2020, there is no greater gift.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’ll go for package #1; just because my son is 15 and is passing me in build knowledge. Time for him to move to servers, and surpass his old man.
Just not on NHL94 on the Sega Genesis. :slight_smile:

ENTRY

Probably a popular one, but this thread did two things for me.

1. Introduced me to this community, which I’ve found to be much more welcoming and built around the idea of sharing information versus internet arguments, which is refreshing.

2. At the time I found this thread, I had been hearing about QuickSync quite a bit in other outlets, but couldn’t really wrap my head around it. But JDM was abe to explain the technology and its benefits in such a way that it clicked, and I appreciate that, as well as his (and other prominent posters here) ability to do it for many of the nitty gritty technologies out there.

1 Like

Entry

Really nice forum my friend, realy liked to read all of your guide, settled up on your nas 4.0 build for my new unraid build.

keep on your good work.

I’d prefer combo 1

1 Like

ENTRY

This was very helpful in my most recent build. I ended up building 2 of them and I am very happy with the results. I would be lost without these guides lol.

1 Like

ENTRY

I have two favorite guides, the Anniversary 2.0 SNAFU guide and the DAS guide, which got me into the frankenbeast server build I have today.

These two guides led me to buy my Dell Precision T5600 and make the carcass of an old college PC into a DAS, which now sits nicely on an IKEA wire shelf at least. Not quite a rack, but above a LACK :slight_smile:

1 Like

Entry

Double (probably more) posting the 290 Owners Thread. This is what tugged me down the rabbit hole to and to finally get a usable Linux server and NAS up and running, and ultimately got my ass up in the attic pulling cat 6 around the house. The perfect quarantine activity getting my home set up bigger and badder than ever, learning a whole shit ton along the way. Thanks @JDM_WAAAT!

1 Like

ENTRY

This guide about WireGuard has been my favorite post. I have come back to it time and time again, @Sparky did a wonderful job with it and I was quite intimidated by it to start with. However when finishing that guide (and following it step by step) I felt way more confident and can now set up WireGuard without issues! It’s truly amazing the wealth of knowledge in the forums and I am just so thankful that I have somewhere to turn when it seems like I can’t get something figured out.

This may be my first time posting here but I have been following you guys for awhile. Thank you for doing the giveaway @JDM_WAAAT and Merry Christmas to you!

Oh and my preference for an item would be either the A10 or the Keyboard, thanks again!

The A10 and keyboard are part of the same package!

1 Like

ENTRY

IPMI fan sensors disabled. Rejoice indeed.

I selected this post because it is a solution to a problem that persisted in an otherwise excellent build. Scripting an hourly clear of the event logs was limiting my ability to detect actual errors. I’ve now put together a raspberry pi syslog server to track errors and improve my system’s reliability.

Package 1, it’s time to add pfSense to my network… or a PLEX Quicksync box… hmmmm.

1 Like

Well that just makes it all the better! Thanks for the clarification on that! I also appreciate you editing my post, I didn’t even catch it… you’re fantastic, thanks again!

1 Like

ENTRY

This was the post that brought me to this community. I was in the market to create a better Plex server and was feeling overwhelmed by the pure number of choices for hardware. This guide really helped me focus in on some quality hardware and opened my eyes to the good used hardware on eBay.

1 Like

ENTRY

I love seeing updated posts to enhance / repurpose continually aging hardware. This was a great post on expanding drive space without sacrificing form or function. Keep up the great work everyone.

2 Likes