[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

290 Owners Thread
I was lucky enough to pick up a 290 in early May before the price shot up. Has been a solid little Plex server and I’m thankful to these forums for turning me on to it.

ITX pfSense Build
My network has become far more complicated over the past 9 months and I need more insight to what’s traveling in and out. I think this guide will come in handy.

Thanks for keeping me busy. Cheers!

1 Like

ENTRY

Any of the NAS Killer guides could have been my top choice, but the NAS Killer 4.0 is the one I ended up following along to and building my home server. Works great and so low power I haven’t noticed a difference in power costs.

I eventually plan on upgrading and giving this to a friend who couldn’t seem to get unraid running, but thank you so much for all the guides on this site.

1 Like

ENTRY

This was the post that got me into the community. I had been eyeing a NAS for a while, but didn’t want to drop $500 before even thinking about drives.

Seeing everything laid out and proof of others having success, it made me way less nervous to buy used enterprise gear on ebay. So between that and another deal found via the forums, I ended up with all of the hardware I needed, plus 30TB of storage for less than the cost of an empty pre-built. I just need to get around to putting together my post for the completed builds section.

Preference for #1

1 Like

ENTRY

[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner’s Thread - Resources / Hardware - serverbuilds.net Forums - https://forums.serverbuilds.net/

This thread helped me up my PLEX transcoding game as well as get a BlueIris NVR set up with quicksync. It’s going great!

My next step is to get my current pfSense on it’s own machine so Pacage 1 would be perfect.

1 Like

ENTRY

My favorite thread (other than the builds):

Happy to have learned about the benefits of QuickSync. It’s amazing.

Preference for prize 1!

Happy holidays!

ENTRY

The nas killer 4.0 brought me here. [Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

The discord tech deals channel kept me here. Lol

1 Like

ENTRY

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/official-hp-290-p0043w-owners-thread/2829

I’ve enjoyed reading and been inspired by so many threads in this forum, but the original HP 290 thread really captivated my interest. This is such a versatile machine, and the thread opened my eyes to all that could be done with it. I’m currently using a 290 as my firewall/router, and have been seriously considering buying more for other projects.

Given that, I would love to receive Package #1, but really either would be a fantastic end to this crazy year! Thanks and looking forward to more building in 2021.

1 Like

ENTRY

This thread is one that has saved me hundreds of dollars. With a 32 TB unraid server, i wouldnt have been able to have the situational awareness on when sales are occurring.

1 Like

ENTRY

I had been running a rudimentary home lab since 2011 with a single-core 8TB UNRAID server and a couple of wireless access points. When our first lockdown hit in March I started looking at options to upgrade my home server and stumbled across serverbuilds. The first thing that occured to me was that it was going to take some time and effort to source the parts for the UNRAID server I wanted but I was intrigued to some quick-start options with the HP290.

Being Canadian the VIPOutlet deals were not really deals but I found a cross-border shipper that still made it more attractive than anything local. I was fortunate to snag 2 HP290s in May but then found out my order was being split in 2 so I had to pay the cross-border fees twice!

Anyway, I now have my 2 HP290s that have been running well for 6 months:

1. pfSense router with a 4-port NIC and 16GB Intel Optane memory
  2. Plex server running Ubuntu with 12GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD

Since my early start with the 290s I’ve also added 3 Aruba IAP207, an Aruba S1500 24-port POE switch and built my UNRAID server (and still plan to post the build info as well!) Next up, security cameras.

ENTRY

It’s been a long time lurking on the forum. Never started yet my NAS and plex server projects because of personal reason and budget but hoping next year it will be done. I learn a lot from this forum. I love most of the people are sharing their projects and experience here. I hope I can get the package 1 to start my plex and nas/das.

This was my first purchase recommend by the community - and when I bought it two years ago, nobody had answered my question on how to do just this!

ENTRY

Supermicro X9DRL-iF

This post was a life saver! Right has COVID was keeping everyone home my server was getting much more use and I only had an old i7-2600 trying to stream to my family. It tried valiantly but couldn’t keep up. So I was looking for an alternative and then this was posted. My server has been able to keep up with everything I’ve needed it to do since and I’m extremely grateful for this group helping me find the deal, but also the motherboard, fan, and ram info I needed as well. Thank you!

2 ENTRY

Favorite Marketplace and tech deal. would be

I bought 3 of them in the past year. one for PFSense, Plex QS, and a third one just to have.

The guide I learned the most from would have to be the Unraid Gaming Guide. Now that I have one set up I’m looking to set up 4.

Entry

[Official] NAS Killer 4.2 supplemental - MicroATX mobo w/ Xeon E3-1220L, Dual NIC, 8GB DDR3 - $79.99 OBO

This post finally had me bite the bullet to build a server and migrate to unraid! Once this deal popped up, I said “screw it, its $60. I spend more time agonizing over $5 purchases at a fast food joint”.
So I ordered, arrived today. The rest of the pieces to arrive over the next week. Looking forward to making the jump!

Would prefer Prize 1, but will glady accept either if lucky enough to win!

ENTRY

I am on mobile so linking to a specific forum post is kind of tedious but I will talk about it. I love your anniversary build. I have been using my old pc running windows as a plex server but once I found out about this forum it elevated my system. I converted my old windows box to a unraid server running all of my apps in docker and got a hp290 to offload my plex viewing. Love the hardware offloading transcoding. With the help of this forum I was able to add a hba card and add a number of sas drives to expand my unraid server. Next is to upgrade my mb and cpu to more of server hardware.

1 Like

Entry

Earlier this year my 5 bay Drobo was reaching max capacity. I was ready to spend money on the 8 bay, but somehow I found a link to this site and man am I glad I did. After a bunch of research and videos, I put together this post and the community was fantastic in helping me come to the best decision. While I still have yet to migrate plex from my Mac Mini to the HP 290, I was able to migrate all of my data to the new NAS and it has been amazing! Thanks everyone!

1 Like

ENTRY

I love this post that shows other paths forward besides the hp290. It’s very aspirational for me as I hope to build a 4u unRAID server at some point using it’s principles for guidance.

1 Like

ENTRY

This build has given me lots of inspiration on my current server and I’m gradually working my way up to a SNAFU!

1 Like

ENTRY

I build an unraid server from one of the previous anniversary guides on a GA-7PESH2. The server has run faithfully for around a year and a half. I’m starting to have some issues with the board such as NIC failures and it may be time to swap for a new board. Using the SNAFU guide for ideas on my roadmap.

Prefer package 2, but I could use either!

1 Like

ENTRY

I think my favorite is still the one that got me all started on this a couple years ago: Anniversary LGA2011 build — Serverbuilds.net I built that (dual xeons 128gb ram and 9TB array) and started into a fun world of self hosting and have learned a lot (and tried not to buy into tooooo much unnecessary stuff).

Since that’s not necessarily in the forum… I think the HP290 stuff has been my go to forum post… I’ve got a couple 290s as project builds and now a 590 on its way. [Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

1 Like