[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

Originally got in on a NK 4.1 build. Didn’t even take a whole year before I upgraded to a dual Xeon 2650 v2 that was mentioned in the tech deals section and this helped me get up and running.

1 Like

ENTRY

I have came back to this guide several times to fix one part or another with my plex build. The way it is laid out makes it super easy to skip to the parts that I need help with.

1 Like

ENTRY

I found this guide helpful to getting my pfblockerng set up working its best and it allowed me to retire my pi-hole.

I have a preference for the first package.

1 Like

ENTRY

This guide is one that I have had up on my computer for months. It is a well written guide, really helped me build a system that does everything that I needed it to do and more. I think that it really exemplifies the community that JDM_WAAT was looking to build. Where people can come to talk about a great hobby get advice and share ideas.

2 Likes

ENTRY

This case is without doubt the best deal and most flexible for a whitebox server build. Glad I grabbed one of these when I could, it can hold all the drives necessary for my NAS as well as enough headroom for any PCI device I want to plug in and pass through to my proxmox VMs. Might get a spare in case I want a future build down the road :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ENTRY

I couldn’t have found serverbuilds.net at a better time! I was between a Synology or trying to cobble together something that looked like a recommendd build from the FreeNAS people. But someone linked serverbuilds.net in a Reddit thread (thank you, kind stranger) and my eyes were opened.

I’m extremely impressed with JDM’s ability to reply to practically every post with endless knowledge and experience, always pointing in the best direction!

So the guide I link is the 4.1 Supplemental, and just placed an order for one of those Chenbro servers, and Elite 350 case (the one with the 500W power supply, btw, only $75 on B&H as of a couple days ago), and some shuckable drives!

First NAS, second computer build, first with anything server/enterprise grade, but I know I’m in good hands here if I run into any issues. Oh and of course Unraid all the way!

Happy holidays to all! I’d be thrilled with any prize package :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

ENTRY

I absolutely love this community, and honestly sad that I’m just finding how awesome it is in the last few days! ~2ish years ago I watched JDM’s tabletop build of the GA-7TESM, and really found it helpful. I already had a couple x5680’s and a bunch of ram from a HP Z800 I recycled from work, but wanted more drives than it could support, which lead me on my google search to find his vid and also how to flash IT mode onto the SAS controller. The one gripe I always had about the board was that I’d get the dreaded “BMC SEL area full” message when I’d reboot, and then have to drag out a monitor and keyboard to get it to boot (since I couldn’t get the KVM redirection to work due to the button being greyed out). Low and behold, I come here and there’s this awesome article on how to keep the event log from getting greyed out, AND in the discord @rosegold came up with a sweet tampermonkey script to avoid having to manually edit the page HTML to get the KVM to work. This community is a dream for people like me who like to tinker and build systems :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas everyone!

1 Like

ENTRY

I’d love to build something new. Problem is the current stuff still works too well to need replacing…

Preference to #1

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

ENTRY

I have to go with the remote gaming guide. Even though my initial attempts at a remote gaming build were not successful (couldn’t get GPU passthrough working) this is a concept that I’ve been a fan of since before joining this community. I will be making another attempt in 2021 with some different hardware. Looking forward to another year hanging with you guys!

1 Like

ENTRY

This is the post that started it all for me. When I came across this post and the discord, I had no idea how much my life would change. I was working at the time in a NOC doing NOC stuff and not really progressing. I imagined saving up to get a server and start learning more than what I knew already about Linux and hosting services. I just couldn’t pull the trigger and my own ignorance kept me desiring homelabs like you see in r/homelab.

With this article, I took the plunge on the Ideapad to setup my Plex. That made a world of difference and as the cliche goes, it was the gateway drug to learning more. Since then I bought 4 HP290’s that I set up as independent servers, then got into docker, then podman, then learned how to SysAdmin the correct way. Which now has changed my career for the better. Since this started I have become a SysAdmin at my job. Experimenting with containers has opened the door to training with the cloud infrastructure team. In 6 months, and a ton of hard work, I am sure I will get a position in that team and continue to reach my goal to be a Cloud Architect.

With all this said, just want to thank the community here that helped me in my journey and showed that expensive gear is not necessary to learn. A homelab of cobbled together of laptops/hp290s can and is more than enough to hone your skills.

Thanks and happy holidays!

2 Likes

ENTRY

The Intel QuickSync guide has been my go-to post on this forum. I could have referenced the whole topic but this particular section describing the ins and outs of QuickSync was extremely well put together. I have read this particular section of the guide at least 25 times and reference it constantly as I’m trying to put together a cheap but fully-functionally Plex transcode QS box. I appreciate the work of all in this community to openly share information for all to learn. Happy 2021 All!

1 Like

ENTRY

This post was my entry into the serverbuilds world because I was trying to figure out how to improve my data storage/Plex setup.

Now because of the 4.1 and 4.0 guides, the drive shucking thread and the Quicksync guide - I’ve got a ridiculous server in a Rosewill L4500 an HP 290 driving everything and 24TB full… so back on to the shuck-watch I go…

On top of that the help getting it all going at the start was phenomenal and the guides straightforward enough that I’m at 214+ days of uptime (next shut down will be the next drive upgrade…)

1 Like

ENTRY

This is a recent one (and technically one I haven’t quite started yet), but I’ve read through it multiple times and am really excited to get started. The biggest reason for me is that it is partially a gift build - this is going to go in my parent’s home for their personal use, and perhaps also as a remote backup endpoint for myself and my sister.

1 Like

I’m surprised it took that long for someone to post the U-NAS thread.

ENTRY

While not my first time cobbling together hardware for my homelab, the Anniversary 1.0 gave me an easy to follow guide that got everything up and running with very little hunting. The 2.0 guide is even more focused and gives a ton of options to get everything you would need in a home server. I’ll often refer back to this thread, to see what I may want to swap out in the future.

1 Like

ENTRY

Hope this isn’t a boring link, but I’m going to use the original nk 4.0 thread, because that’s what originally got me to find this awesome site.

I’ve said this before, but I think that the diversity that’s found on this forum is it’s strong point. I’m hanging out in the discord, soaking up knowledge, learning from everyone from networking pros who don’t know the first thing about hardware, to linux gurus, to people like me who have a very basic working knowledge of linux but no mastery, people who are hardware pros but novices at software.

I’m hugely appreciative of this community and all the help everyone has given me.

1 Like

ENTRY

Once I learned about the power of Quicksync I have come back to this post time and time again. Any time a friend asks about building a Plex box I send them to that post before doing anything else. Thank you so much for this reference!

1 Like

ENTRY

I feel a little guilty submitting the post from the landing page but it is just such an incredibly well-written, fool-proof guide. I would especially highlight the pre-built subsection for anyone still uncertain about their first build. If you follow the links for ebay listings you can find a killer deal, and it really helps lower the bar of entry. Fair warning though, once you’re in there’s no going back!

Prize Preference: Package #1

1 Like

I would say it’s fairly popular… not boring though :slight_smile: