[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

This got me into setting up a killer NAS and then a plex server, then a 1u pfsense router.

Prefer package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

I learned a ton about transcoding over the course of 2020 - out of necessity. This post and the help on discord has helped a ton as well.

1 Like

Entry

Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync

This is my very first post that I read on accomplishing my end goal of no longer paying for seedboxes and hosting my own Plex Server. I have joined the Discord, asked so many questions that I am more confident in building that I have just completed building my first DAS. This forum has not only transformed my thought process but has given me and my son something to build together. Thank you

1 Like

ENTRY

The Plex transcoding guide was quite formative for my own HP290 build and has outperformed my expectations for what a mini PC can do.

1 Like

ENTRY

definitely [Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

I just finished building my NAS Killer and am incredibly happy with it. I got through it with help from the discord, and am amazed at how helpful and kind this community is. I love how the guide was setup in order to allow mixing and matching and it worked incredibly well. The layout, the links, everything. Thanks for it!

Prize preference: Package 1, I prefer ortho split keyboards :smile:

1 Like

ENTRY

I’ve been lurking on this forum and doing research on building a new NAS. the NAS Killer series of posts have been extremely helpful. Thank you everyone who contributed to these guides.

1 Like

ENTRY

This is where it started for me. Now I’ve run out of drive slots, am looking for upgrades or DAS, have built a pfSense box, and am building a miniITX NK4. The addiction is real!

1 Like

ENTRY

I found this guide, along with the linked CPU list, to be extremely useful when I was planning on what the next steps for my home setup were. I had been using my old desktop (i5-2500k) but was getting very invested in all of the other things I could be running on my server and was constantly running at near CPU capacity. This guide helped me make a much better, cheaper and more informed decision when I purchased some parts to make a better server.

1 Like

ENTRY

Oh this one is easy! Yes, it’s inspired by your JDM’s Mini-ATX pfSense Build thread, but I love the fact that your post directly inspired another post which inspired me. Almost exactly a year later, I have a nearly identical 1U build that is ready to go… if only USPS would deliver my dang Pentium! Other than that, same case, same motherboard, same CPU and case fans. My nic is different, but that’s because of other posts that I’ve learned from.

Next part (for me) is that this venture was driven by so many Redditors nudging me to ditch by Unifi USG for pfSense. A bit of Googling led me here, where others have the same story. Learning about pfSense has convinced me to finally get my CompTIA Network+ cert. Testing in February.

Thank you so much to all of you!

Prize? THAT KEYBOARD! But honestly, I need to be donating to this community, not the other way around. Thank you.

1 Like

ENTRY

This has been my favourite comment so far!

I’m specifically looking for a MicroATX or Mini ITX build, with as few components as possible, and as inexpensively as I can get it.
After my ASRock rack hosting my FreeNAS died today, I frantically got to searching, and stumbled across this fantastic website.

I’m hoping that within the next few days, I’ll have found what I need!

Thanks for doing this awesome giveaway / care package!

1 Like

ENTRY

I needed an upgrade to my Nas Killer 1.0-based build, and this is the build I ended up basing mine off of, albeit loosely. It was very useful, despite half the parts on his list being sold out.

1 Like

ENTRY

The venerable NK4.0 guide led me to serverbuilds and has been of tremendous help as I piece together my home server — although I’ve got to say that seeing in this thread what other users find valuable is giving me many more rabbit holes to dive down…

1 Like

ENTRY

The NAS Killer 4.0 build inspired to build my first home lab. I’ve relied on the SB discord for all my homelab related questions and I’ve always been answered by someone who has been there done that before. It is an amazing community and I hope it keeps getting better every day.

Preference: Package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

This little box is awesome, and I only regret I didn’t pick up another (or two). I’ve since upgraded it with an i5-9400T, some more RAM, and an SSD, and it’s a screaming little machine.

1 Like

Entry

This would be officially my second build on this site as my first one was the NK4 turned into a Unraid gaming PC. The BLU-NAS was my favorite so far in builds as it really challenged me this time since not all the parts fit, some parts were bad, and I actually really liked the blue case I ended up with. Looking forward to posting more photos on that and onto my next project (pfsense box). If I won my preference would be the HP 290 (Package 1) so I could get that project underway :D.

1 Like

ENTRY

I want to call out BitDeals for their killer disk deals. I had always balked at the deals with 5+ disks as I’m not quite ready to sign up for that (yet) but it was great that they also had single disk deals like this. I hope they can recover from the fire.

ENTRY

I was following JDM_WAAAT on Reddit for awhile. He turned me on to using an HP z420 for a Plex server. Did that. Now have 60+TB in the box and used this DAS guide for the future. Still running great. on 24/7 even using as a gaming computer. Time for a backup rig though. Thanks for the opportunity to take these off your hands. Here’s to a better 2021!

1 Like

Entry

I was close to spending an arm and a leg on a Synology NAS when I stumbled on a reddit post mentioning this guide. It’s lead me down a big, fun rabbit hole exploring all the guides and resources in this community. I have really enjoyed reading through things here and putting together my first server. Excited to finish the build soon and share. Thank you!

1 Like

Entry

Just wishing I’d actually come and found this site before I went and foolishly built my own rather badly.

1 Like

Entry

im going to say its this one.

i love listening to the selfhosted podcast… I built my home server with help from the subreddit and from ironicbadgers howto over on linuxserver.io several years ago.

So with this podcast, two separate folks that had a huge impact on my life and many of my close family and friends came together to spread the gospel of selfhosting and server building.

1 Like