[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

Entry

I am still very new to personal servers of any kind and was introduced to this forum and discord server. I like to read these posts and guides so that I can find more out about building and maintaining servers and home networks.

If I were to choose a prize I would choose package A since I already have a decent daily setup but still no personal server.

1 Like

ENTRY

This got me into setting up a killer NAS and then a plex server, then a 1u pfsense router.

Prefer package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

I learned a ton about transcoding over the course of 2020 - out of necessity. This post and the help on discord has helped a ton as well.

1 Like

Entry

Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync

This is my very first post that I read on accomplishing my end goal of no longer paying for seedboxes and hosting my own Plex Server. I have joined the Discord, asked so many questions that I am more confident in building that I have just completed building my first DAS. This forum has not only transformed my thought process but has given me and my son something to build together. Thank you

1 Like

ENTRY

The Plex transcoding guide was quite formative for my own HP290 build and has outperformed my expectations for what a mini PC can do.

1 Like

ENTRY

definitely [Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

I just finished building my NAS Killer and am incredibly happy with it. I got through it with help from the discord, and am amazed at how helpful and kind this community is. I love how the guide was setup in order to allow mixing and matching and it worked incredibly well. The layout, the links, everything. Thanks for it!

Prize preference: Package 1, I prefer ortho split keyboards :smile:

1 Like

ENTRY

Iā€™ve been lurking on this forum and doing research on building a new NAS. the NAS Killer series of posts have been extremely helpful. Thank you everyone who contributed to these guides.

1 Like

ENTRY

This is where it started for me. Now Iā€™ve run out of drive slots, am looking for upgrades or DAS, have built a pfSense box, and am building a miniITX NK4. The addiction is real!

1 Like

ENTRY

I found this guide, along with the linked CPU list, to be extremely useful when I was planning on what the next steps for my home setup were. I had been using my old desktop (i5-2500k) but was getting very invested in all of the other things I could be running on my server and was constantly running at near CPU capacity. This guide helped me make a much better, cheaper and more informed decision when I purchased some parts to make a better server.

1 Like

ENTRY

Oh this one is easy! Yes, itā€™s inspired by your JDMā€™s Mini-ATX pfSense Build thread, but I love the fact that your post directly inspired another post which inspired me. Almost exactly a year later, I have a nearly identical 1U build that is ready to goā€¦ if only USPS would deliver my dang Pentium! Other than that, same case, same motherboard, same CPU and case fans. My nic is different, but thatā€™s because of other posts that Iā€™ve learned from.

Next part (for me) is that this venture was driven by so many Redditors nudging me to ditch by Unifi USG for pfSense. A bit of Googling led me here, where others have the same story. Learning about pfSense has convinced me to finally get my CompTIA Network+ cert. Testing in February.

Thank you so much to all of you!

Prize? THAT KEYBOARD! But honestly, I need to be donating to this community, not the other way around. Thank you.

1 Like

ENTRY

This has been my favourite comment so far!

Iā€™m specifically looking for a MicroATX or Mini ITX build, with as few components as possible, and as inexpensively as I can get it.
After my ASRock rack hosting my FreeNAS died today, I frantically got to searching, and stumbled across this fantastic website.

Iā€™m hoping that within the next few days, Iā€™ll have found what I need!

Thanks for doing this awesome giveaway / care package!

1 Like

ENTRY

I needed an upgrade to my Nas Killer 1.0-based build, and this is the build I ended up basing mine off of, albeit loosely. It was very useful, despite half the parts on his list being sold out.

1 Like

ENTRY

The venerable NK4.0 guide led me to serverbuilds and has been of tremendous help as I piece together my home server ā€” although Iā€™ve got to say that seeing in this thread what other users find valuable is giving me many more rabbit holes to dive downā€¦

1 Like

ENTRY

The NAS Killer 4.0 build inspired to build my first home lab. Iā€™ve relied on the SB discord for all my homelab related questions and Iā€™ve always been answered by someone who has been there done that before. It is an amazing community and I hope it keeps getting better every day.

Preference: Package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

This little box is awesome, and I only regret I didnā€™t pick up another (or two). Iā€™ve since upgraded it with an i5-9400T, some more RAM, and an SSD, and itā€™s a screaming little machine.

1 Like

Entry

This would be officially my second build on this site as my first one was the NK4 turned into a Unraid gaming PC. The BLU-NAS was my favorite so far in builds as it really challenged me this time since not all the parts fit, some parts were bad, and I actually really liked the blue case I ended up with. Looking forward to posting more photos on that and onto my next project (pfsense box). If I won my preference would be the HP 290 (Package 1) so I could get that project underway :D.

1 Like

ENTRY

I want to call out BitDeals for their killer disk deals. I had always balked at the deals with 5+ disks as Iā€™m not quite ready to sign up for that (yet) but it was great that they also had single disk deals like this. I hope they can recover from the fire.

ENTRY

I was following JDM_WAAAT on Reddit for awhile. He turned me on to using an HP z420 for a Plex server. Did that. Now have 60+TB in the box and used this DAS guide for the future. Still running great. on 24/7 even using as a gaming computer. Time for a backup rig though. Thanks for the opportunity to take these off your hands. Hereā€™s to a better 2021!

1 Like

Entry

I was close to spending an arm and a leg on a Synology NAS when I stumbled on a reddit post mentioning this guide. Itā€™s lead me down a big, fun rabbit hole exploring all the guides and resources in this community. I have really enjoyed reading through things here and putting together my first server. Excited to finish the build soon and share. Thank you!

1 Like

Entry

Just wishing Iā€™d actually come and found this site before I went and foolishly built my own rather badly.

1 Like