[Official] Nexcom NDiS B533 - fanless desktop for pfSense, Roon endpoint, Parsec client, Car/RV PC, and more!

JDM, I wanted to thank you for helping to make my wallet lighter once again :money_mouth_face:. I ended up getting one of these to use as a backup (maybe replacement) for my current pfsense box. I ended up spending about $30 more than you, but still a good deal. I compared the specs of this to my fanless Qotom i7-5500u build and surprisingly the i5 beats is in some aspects (e.g. clock speed) and the only downside is the power draw is higher.

I like that they put the power button in the front and the HDMI in the back. I have attached a copy of the user manual which should be helpful.

User_Manual_NDiSB533_210114_compressed.pdf (3.4 MB)

1 Like

Thanks, looks like I was too late. Will pickup the 400 G4 and add a dual nic.

Here’s another one (3 more available) from Canada, but without a power adapter or hard drive for about $76 USD shipped plus taxes. If you already have an extra 2.5" SSD and can find a power adapter (LTE90E-S2-2) cheap then you will be ahead. The cheapest LTE brand power adapter I see is about $40, but you might be able to find a compatible one. The manual I linked earlier has the Pinout for the adapter, so you would need one that matches that and is 12v and least 6.67amps (80w).

EDIT: The price was originally C 75 and I put in an offer of C 60 (~$49USD) that the seller accepted. With shipping and tax it came up to $83 USD. The seller just changed the price to C 63.74 for the remaining 3, so you can try an offer or just buy it.

Yikes I don’t really “need” this but the seller took my ~$41 total ~$86 offer. Probably going to be replacing my perfectly functional DLINK D826L Now to figure out the power supply. Let me know what you go with.

1 Like

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8TM4LC/

That one you linked might work. It really depends on the pinout. If you look at the manual I attached, it has the pinout which shows 12v on the top 2 pins (1&2) and ground on the bottom pins (3&4). I saw some that showed different pinouts, so you have to find a matching one.

This listing states it is compatible with the LTE 90E-S2-2, so it may be worth a try.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V4PLJ67

1 Like

I just want to confirm that if it supports an mSATA SSD because I’m looking to buy one for this unit.

According to Nexcom, it does not support mSATA. Above specifications have been updated accordingly.

Any chance that we can supply power to an additional 2.5 SSD using any of the USB headers or the SATA DOM Power connector? There is enough space for it just need to provide power. I would rather not buy a SATA DOM I have so many 2.5s lying around.

You might be able to convert the DOM power connector to a standard sata power connector using something like this. You will have to verify the connector is correct and the pinout is correct as well based on the B533 manual.

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Compatible-Hikvision-Recorder/dp/B07JHBJWD4

Has anyone else who got one of these had issues with it not booting. On mine the power button turns blue, then beeps and turns red in a continuous cycle. I tried resetting the cmos with no luck and the user manual doesn’t have any troubleshooting guidance.

I haven’t received mine yet, but it sounds like it is failing the POST. The manual mentions POST issue beep codes , but doesn’t specify what they mean. This has an AMI BIOS, so you can check out this page to see if it helps. Assuming Nexcom didn’t modify the beep codes then this should help you narrow it down.

AMIBIOS Beep Codes (What to Do When Your PC Beeps) (lifewire.com)

My guess is it’s hardware related (loose cable, bad RAM, improperly seated RAM etc). I have see issues like that when I didn’t seat the RAM all the way. If it were me, I would check all connections internal and external and make sure nothing was loose or seated incorrectly. I would also make sure the monitor was connected to HDMI1. If everything looks good then I would disconnect the hard drive and take out DIMM2 and try again. If that worked then I would add one thing back and try again and keep doing that until something causes it to fail. That would at least help you narrow down the problem.

yeah, it seems like DIMM slot B doesn’t want to work. I’ve tried a working stick in both A and B slots and it only boots when A is the only slot populated

There may be something in the slot, pins could be bent, the retention clip could be bent preventing it from being correctly seated or the slot could be bad.

Some motherboards want a matching set of RAM (same capacity, same speed, timings, etc), so that is something you can try if you haven’t already.

I’ve been using matching sticks of ram. I’m attempting to see if there are any obstructions. I’m hoping the slot itself isn’t bad. That would kinda suck.

Also, thanks for the troubleshooting ideas

If the slot is bad, ask for a partial refund IMO

Another possibility is a power supply going bad. The problem is it requires another power supply to test it. Definitely ask for a partial refund like JDM mentioned if you do determine something is wrong with it.

Yeah, I’ll most likely do that. I’ve got another cpu coming in later today. So I’m going to wait and see if the memory controller on the current cpu isn’t doing something funny.

I don’t think it’s the power supply. I powered the board using the onboard 4pin and a spare psu I had lying around

2 Likes