[Official] HP S01-pf1013w Owner's Thread and Review

I don’t have a good answer for a small prebuilt that does take 2x 3.5" drives, but I can confirm that there’s not enough physical room in the S01 for 2x 3.5" drives. A single 3.5" drive plus a single 2.5" drive, and potentially a second 2.5" drive if you swap out the optical drive and get a slimline SATA adapter, are all you can fit. That’s all the power and data connectors that are available as well.

I’m half thinking that I could remove the optical and entire front cage and park a pair of drives there, though I’d have to improvise a way to secure them.

@JDM_WAAAT I’m curious as to how you’d utilize a 9201-8e for NAS/DAS with this? Where do the hard drives go? Is there some trick for an external placement of them?

The S01 would act as the NAS with the 8e card (e indicates external ports), to which you’d connect a DAS (a chassis that houses only drives). It’d be for pairing with a disk shelf.

4 Likes

What a great thread! Thank you for posting.

WalMart had inventory clearing for these and was selling last few units new cheap ($74) so I ended up purchasing 3 units and want to turn them into Proxmox virtualization nodes.

Would you please be able to help me through reviewing and may be commenting on questions below?

Questions

1. the speed of the PCIE slots. Are these PCIE 1 with 7.8 Gbps max capacity? I am considering adding cheap Mellanox CX3 cards with 10Gbps speeds and wondering how much I am ‘losing’

2. CPU upgrade , the BakerMS supports listing of CPUs up to 10700, has anyone tried this? Would 180W supply included handle 10700 CPU ? I am aware of 65W TDP and reports of much higher actual power usage.

3. I do not need DVD drives and would much rather replace it with drive case to hold two SSDs. Any recommendations on what part numbers I should be looking for?

Thank you in advance.

Late night trolling for enterprise ssd’s, I found this slim sata ssd. It probably would work using the connector of the dvd drive in the S01 and 290 to give additional storage to the m.2 and sata.

The optical power uses a different connector, so you’d need to get an adapter to use an SSD, even one of these slim ones.

Ah, good point. Forgot about the other end being a goofy 8-pin connector

What’s the point of that over a normal 2.5" SSD?

Thanks for the response. This is something that I’d be interested in setting up. Do you or others have any recommendations on a DAS that isn’t too over the top and fairly minimal? Ideally I would only need 6-8 bays.

I’m looking, thinking: 2.5" ssd requires regular sata and power connector. The slim dvd cable on the290 is… slim, not regular sata. Few of us need the slim optical drive, why not replace it with a slim ssd and use the connector/space/ability?

Why not just get an adapter for 2.5" SSDs then?

1 Like

My confusion. I didn’t do a pin count on that posted SSD. The “Slim Sata” threw me off thinking it was actually “slim sata” and not “slim, sata.” Because you’re right, it’s the regular pin sata, requiring this if you use the cable from HP

I can confirm that this works. There is a bigger 12.7mm size that will not fit. Any of these 9.5mm ones will (there are tons on Amazon/eBay)

So this machine has some sort of built in UEFI boot manager. I installed OpenMediaVault on a USB flash drive. When I just let it boot on it’s own, it shows up an error saying no boot device found (none of the hard drives are bootable). If I hit “esc” and then select boot options, I can manually browse to to flash drive, select EFI file boot, select the boot file on the flash drive, and boot OMV that way.

Without doing a hard drive install, does anyone know how to edit this HP UEFI Boot Manager, and make it select the flash drive boot file by default, without having to go trough the manual process?
The manual process is not a big deal, but with a power loss, and reboot, it will get stuck on the no boot instead of loading OMV.
Any help appreciated . . .

Why are you running a NAS OS on a system that can only support one hard drive?

Was this in response to me? I’m not sure I understand.

This system has 3 SATA connectors plus an NVMe—so technically can do 4 “drives.”

Right now I have 1 3.5” Hard Drive, 1 2.5” Hard Drive and 1 2.5” SSD in it. It’s a perfect NAS (for my needs). I ended up booting OMV from the 2.5” SSD with no boot errors. Because for the life of me, after playing around with the BIOS settings, I couldn’t get the error to go away booting from USB.

What OS do you consider more appropriate for this system?

A single hard drive does not offer protection for your data if it were to fail. I don’t think that’s a reliable setup for a NAS.

Most people use these as dedicated transcoders for their existing NAS.

Ah ok.

I don’t have a dedicated NAS.

But OMV is pretty neat. I have Rsync doing backups from one drive to another in this “NAS”. I plan to add a 3rd Rsync backup to another networked PC. This works pretty good for what I need right now starting out on a shoestring budget.

What’s the advantage of dedicated NAS plus a dedicated server as opposed to a two-in-one setup?

Sea-Wolfe

for your question regarding NAS vs Server vs both , the thinking is that these are two separate ‘profiles’ in terms of what they are being optimized for

• NAS , always on, low power consumption, plenty/redundant storage
  • server, optimized for compute capabilities (transcode, etc).

Could NAS be a server and run VMs/containers/handle transcode? yes, especially if it has dedicated hardware for things like transcode.

Could server provide storage services? yes , of cause , however it would not be as efficient in doing it.

Overall, do not worry about it - this hardware is very low power usage and if it works for you, that is the only item that matters.

Second thing here is that people go ‘crazy’ about redundancy (hard drives, ZFS pools, hardware RAIDs, etc) - you just have to know how many copies of your data you have and how you maintain them. Two is one, one is none, three is right for me - as the saying goes. if you have your data in one place → only a matter of time before you lose it. If you have one copy of the data on redundant storage, it is still one copy of the data (if it is corrupted, it would be perfectly stored in corrupted way on your wonderful RAID hardware array)… I , personally, if I only have one machine much prefer to have two or more independent disks that store copies of my data vs having some pools - if any single disk fails ,i have copies on other disks, if motherboard/CPU/PSU/whatever fails, I pull the disk out and plug that into another machine and am done.

also , if you want to deal with redundancy you are better of with cluster of few machines vs any single server for things like bad bios upgrade, motherboard issue/failure, etc. have many baskets to store eggs in…

for my own needs, could you tell me what SSD you went with for your server build?

Thank you

2 Likes