[Official] HP S01-pf1013w Owner's Thread and Review

Long time plex user but had it running on my freenas server. Found this information about quick sync last night and went ahead and ordered eBay link

Seller accepted 135. Hopefully this is a decent deal

1 Like

Would upgrading a plex media server from a hp290 yield any substantial improvement in transcoding ability?

Nope!

1 Like

Just got the comp yday from eBay seller. Beautiful condition. Now bought 512 nvme. Is the heat sink really necessary?

Yeah, it’s only a couple bucks and will keep your NVMe performing well.

My i5-10400 version arrived today. Mine came with a 256 GB Hynix NVMe drive. Since I don’t need or want the M.2 WiFi card I can pull that, use the dlinker M.2 → U.2 Adapter and use an Intel SSD DC P4500 U.2 2TB NVMe SSD in place of the WiFi correct? The Intel drive would be the cache (today’s recordings) for Blue Iris.

EDIT I need to take a better look later to see if it’s a type E M.2 slot vs a B, M, or B+M. I’ll report back after I get it sorted.

Honestly, I’d just use the P4500 as the only drive - it’s large enough for the OS and anything you want to do on it.

1 Like

Yeah good point. This S01 is going to be a dedicated
BlueIris box. Was planning on using the 256 GB nvme as the OS drive while using the 2 TB Intel as the cache drive for past few days recording to more quickly scrub thru footage. But since there won’t be much else running on it I won’t really need that OS separation and can find a use for the 256 GB drive elsewhere.

1 Like

@JDM_WAAAT Do you know what size screw we need for the nvme 2280?
Really annoying that it isn’t standard! Thanks

1 Like

I just pulled the plug on one of these. Ebay seller accepted 160US

Planning a dedicated Jellyfin server with transcoding. Will see how much mileage I can get out of the G5900.

I see from the server specs that they only show specific CPUs, can you upgrade to any LGA 1200 socket/CPU? Could you potentionally pop in a 11th gen CPU?

2 Likes

Also just purchased one based on this thread and the HP 290 thread. (On eBay, $174 for one with a Celeron G5905 and 8GB of RAM.)

I’d guess that most 10th gen CPUs would be fine, especially considering that the G5905 that mine is supposed to come with is not on the list. I’m also looking to see how much mileage I can get out of mine before potentially upgrading.

Since it’s a B460 chipset motherboard, according to Intel 11th gen CPUs won’t be supported.

1 Like

Received mine today, couple of dents/dings and one of the lower plastic clips on the front panel was broken off and rattling around inside, but pretty much new-looking otherwise.

The 8GB of RAM was 2x 4GB SK hynix HMA851U6DJR6N0-VK for anyone who cares.

After replacing the HDD with an NVMe SSD and unplugging the DVD drive, I also measured ~7W idle power consumption.

I’m really curious about what the idle power consumption would look like with various processor upgrades.

2 Likes

I bet idle consumption wouldn’t be that much different. Recent-gen Intel processors are extremely efficient!

I bought a used S01 with an i5 on eBay but it kept locking up and getting BSODs, so it is being sent back. I ordered another S01 with an i3 this go around. This one already includes 16 GB of RAM so the extra 8 GB of Crucial RAM bought for the first one is being returned to Amazon. I can post my Kill A Watt idle once I get it to add to the data points for those that are interested.

EDIT Hmm back to eBay searching. The i3 seller sent me a HP 290 with a Celeron. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm.

2 Likes

Just got mine today. CPU is also a G5905… but only 4GB RAM.
Condition was perfect… New… Unopened Box.

Now… Need to install Ubuntu Server… Install Docker…and Jellyfin.
Will see how it goes… and whether 4GB RAM is enough.

1 Like

What screw did you use for the 2280 nvme replacement? I see it wasn’t the standard size.

Was meaning to track this down, but for the meantime I just stuck it down with some fancy tape. Not my proudest moment.

Would this make a better Plex server over the HP 290? I didn’t new if the newer generation CPU had a more efficient Quick Sync.

They are the same, as far as QS goes. Considering they are the same price (sometimes the S01 is cheaper) I’d go for the 10th-gen.

I pulled this from tech-deals on the discord:

Bitremedy on ebay has the HP S01 (10th-gen HP 290 successor) with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD for $170.
($10 cheaper than VIP outlet with 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB)
Add a few more $ if you want the G5905 instead of the G5900. Use the 1TB HDD as a spinning cache drive for Unraid!
S01-pf1013w for sale | eBay