[Official] HP S01-pf1013w Owner's Thread and Review

Hello, Thank for your reply.

I updated the BIOS to F.30 using the HP Support Assistant, before upgrading the CPU.

I checked on the BIOS, but couldn’t find any options for Enable (or Disable) Turbo Boost.

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Great information. If I buy one of these for opnsense does the pcie nic card need to be low profile?

Specifically looking at 49Y4230 - IBM Intel Ethernet Dual-Port Server Adapter I340-T2

Why do you need to disable HT?

Many CPUs such as the i5 do not have HT.

is the board proprietary or does it fit a standard? I have one on the way and I’d love for it to easily fit in a rack case.

The board is 100% proprietary.

It fits a rack shelf

Bummer. Is there a way to get it to fit in a case like some sort of universal adapter kit out there?

A shelf is a pretty universal adapter

2 Likes

With all the news about the security issues with hyper-threading, I’d like to disable hyper-threading.

Does the BIOS have an option to allow me to choose to turn hyper-threading off (or on)?

And if the BIOS doesn’t have that option, I’ll have to buy the HP 290-p0043w because it supports 9th generation CPUs and those CPUs don’t have hyper-threading.

Those were theoretical concerns from like 5 years ago. I think disabling HT is a worse idea than the random risk of a rare security event.

“Simply setting a strong BIOS password might be enough to avoid any unwanted security problems. However, Intel did not specify if this is the case or not.”

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Why are you putting hyper-threading in bold?

9th gen CPUs definitely support hyper-threading.

Thanks so much for this fantastic article. I was adrift looking for a low power opnsense build and I think this is it! I did not understand what you mean by " While the new upgrades didn’t come without downsides (particularly the single slot only GPU issue)" Does the x16 slot only accept GPU like some of the older optiplex models?

I think what he meant is that there is only room for a single slot GPU instead of having more room for a wider GPU as in the 290.

1 Like

What @ASUDave said is correct. It can only accept a single width GPU, not a double width like the HP 290.

Other than that, you can use whatever type of expansion card you want in the slot, it doesn’t have to be a GPU.

1 Like

I replaced the cpu fan with a Noctua 80mm and that was an easy & cheap upgrade. It’s very quiet now. Hopefully the fan in the power supply has a couple years of life before the bearings start to go.

I’m super pleased using this as a single-drive zfs nas rather than getting a Synology. Having a complete OS is easier for me than learning the quirks of the Synology interface, I can install any extra software easily and the power draw is only marginally worse. Plus, this whole experience has made me realize that I’d rather use a single-drive with zfs over raid-1 with any other file system. It’s all about proper backups.

I’m looking forward to these coming back in stock at the cheap price we’ve gotten used to. There haven’t been any for several weeks now. I’m going to grab one to run an octoprint server and another to run a backup zfs drive.

Thanks JDM for this write up.
I picked one of these up to use as a Plex box. I put an NVMe in and upgraded the RAM.

One thing to note: The RAM I got had heat spreaders on them and the HDD cage would not fit back on. So, I had to carefully pry off the heat spreaders and everything seems to fit fine now.

I haven’t fired it up yet. That’s tonight’s project.

I just got this hp box up running ubuntu with an i5-10400. I am not seeing any hardware transcoding for some reason. It is enabled in plex, any idea why it isnt working?

I think you’ll need to install graphics drivers.

Yeah, it looks like this is a problem.

18.04 isn’t the latest LTS. Have you tried the most recent version?