[Official] HP S01-pf1013w Owner's Thread and Review

Sorry to hear that man - I run the base model (S01-pf1013W) using Proxmox (which is Debian) with MVME drive for the last two months with zero issues that I can see…

Same here. I have proxmox installed on an NVMe drive and luckily have had zero issues.

Looks a little tight under that expansion bay. Do you need to use a low profile heatsink for m.2 drives?

I’m on Day 3 without an issue after changing SATA Mode from AHCI to RAID. I’m cautiously optimistic, thanks for the help.

Not that I know of. I think you could put a 2.5" in the expansion bay and still have room…

I wouldn’t put a tall, cpu-style sink on it though, if such a thing exists for nvme drives

1 Like

Hello gang, real newbie here. So on the S01-pf1013w optical drive, I seem to have damaged the pins on the power supply plug that goes into the back of optical. They appear bent or pushed in, not sure. Yeah, I know, I’m an idiot. Can someone tell me what kind of replacement cable I need. It has a white 4 pin head that plugs in to the board and the other end has a black head but I can’t tell how many pins. Data cable seems fine. The pins on the optical drive itself seem ok, but I might replace it also though I am not sure i will ever use a optical drive much any more. The replacement optical drives for sale don’t include cables so I am not sure. I have tried to find the info on the web, but I haven’t had much luck. Tho, being a newbie, I might be searching using the wrong terminology for the cables.
Anybody provide some help to this newbie? or should I just say scrap the optical drive if I’m not going to use it? I thought I could just replace the cable but I thought I should ask to get the correct one.

You really don’t need the optical drive. If you do, I think someone here would gladly ship you their drive and cable for a nominal fee.

The connector on the drive side is a standard slimline optical drive power connector, but the motherboard connector is specific to these HP systems. You could get an adapter to convert a standard SATA power connector to the slimline connector, and maybe also a SATA splitter if you were planning on adding 2 drives. Otherwise, like JDM suggested, if you post in #marketplace:pawn-shop-wtb maybe someone has one they aren’t using and would be willing to sell to you.

Can you carefully bend them back out with tweezers?

Thanks bud! I didn’t think I really have that much use of one. I know if was a rookie question, but I appreciate you all getting back with me. I know its not the greatest stock system, but my buddy put I think 8GB RAM in yesterday and it runs way better browsing and hopping in b/t applications. Thank you again.

Appreciate the advice, you guys are awesome, thank you again!

I tried the tweezer thing but I am afraid I’m not that skilled and the part seems pretty delicate. Thank you for the advice.

Speaking of the DVD drive, what would you use for an automated DVD rip-to-Plex solution? I’m thinking pop a disc in, rip it according to presets, apply correct metadata, and then move to the Plex NFS share.

I haven’t had a chance to try it, but the Automatic Ripping Machine immediately came to mind. Please keep us updated if you give it a try!

https://github.com/automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine

1 Like

Did you ever try this? I’m running HA on my main server along with a bunch of other things and was thinking of getting one of these HP boxed to dedicate for HA and security cameras. I will probably grab another one for a PFSense box if I can use my existing router in AP mode.

In regards to the Coral, I ordered one back in Oct and it is currently slated to be delivered in Apr of this year, so unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. :frowning:

In terms of my current configuration, I decided to buy an HP M01-F1063WB which I was able to snag for $229 (now selling for over $300 on ebay). I installed a quad NIC card and an extra 8GB of RAM (total of 16GB of RAM). It’s currently running Proxmox with a pfSense VM (direct PCIe passthrough of the NICs), a Home Assistant VM, and an Ubuntu LXC for Plex, but it is way overpowered for my current workload.

Back to the S01, my main concern was running multiple multi-CPU VMs on a Celeron processor that can only run 2 threads at a time, but I’m not sure it was warranted in the end. I own both the S01 and the M01 now and haven’t yet decided what to do with the S01. My suggestion would be to try it out on the S01 and if you end up running into issues w/ the Celeron processor, then just buy an i3 or something off eBay. The M01 is bigger and easier to work inside of, but it also takes up a bit more real estate.

It certainly struggles with some VMs. Kubuntu runs okay. Windows Server 2022 with MSSQL Server needs some more cores. I’ll probably upgrade to an i3 soon, but I only use my Windows VM for testing, so it’s not running 24/7 right now

No issues with Plex running through Docker, though, and it handles transcodes well

Hello All, Hopefully this isn’t too much of a thread necro. …Has anyone tried an Intel H10 Optane SSD with this HP S01? The H10 has 2pcie lanes for 32GB Optane and 2 seperate pcie lanes for 1GB 660p QLC SSD, so requires Intel RST as well. …Just not sure if this motherboard supports the pcie bifurcation for H10. Thanks Much :slight_smile:

There’s no such thing as a “thread necro” on this forum. If it’s relevant, it’s relevant!

I believe that SSD did not show one of the modules in the HP 290, but I’m not sure about the HP S01. Did you check to see if it has an x2 or x4 lane?

Also… why do you want that SSD in particular?

Greetings JDM_WAAAT and company. I’ve been lurking these forums and this thread and I very interested in this small pfsense project. My goal is to build a small quiet low powered pfsense box for 1G symmetrical speed.

I have the following items in my cart and wanted to know if these together are a good combo.
https://gyazo.com/6d1d6d55c530c4cb4c014512032f58b8

Ideally I would like to run pfsense via a vm using proxmox, would this be an issue? Lastly, which 4 port low profile NIC card would I need?