[Official] HP S01-pf1013w Owner's Thread and Review

a cross-thread is a tight thread

2 Likes

“M3*4” screw from a laptop screw assortment kit worked fine. Maybe a bit on the short side. I would definitely go with something longer if I intended to install a heatsink over the m.2.

Why does this thing have a serial port?

Sesame Street Idk GIF

I finally got my 3rd S01 and this one has been working great. I bought a Certified Refurb with an i3-10100, 8GB ram, & a 256 GB nvme drive for $365 ($339+tax). Looks brand new.

I swapped the 256GB drive with an Intel 2TB P4500 and bumped the memory to 16GB total (2x 8GB). Did a clean install of Win 10. Updated the drivers and then debloated Win10 with this tool from Chris Titus Tech. I ran the Intel Burn Test v2.54 by AgentGOD a few rounds at Standard & High and it passed without any issues. The 1st S01 I purchased would BSOD when running it at just Standard.

Here are CDM benchmarks of the Intel drive in this computer.

Intel_SSD_CDM i3

Exported the Blue Iris (BI) settings and data base files from the Win10 VM on the unRaid box and got them moved over to this new bare metal install. Copied over the DeepStack AI Tools also. BI has been running for a few days now and its a night and day difference in how well it works, which should be expected with the better CPU, memory and utilizing Quick Sync that is not present on the Win10 VM. The UI3 web interface for BI is snappy and everything loads instantaneous when reviewing footage over wifi on my laptop. I’ll be adding a few more 4k cameras here soon. With all the tweaks and optimizations I am seeing ~6-8% CPU & ~3% GPU load when it’s just sitting there running doing it’s BI thing.

It jumps up to about 10% when scrubbing through video footage. Super happy how well this runs BI.

1 Like

So this has SATA x 3 and NVME? All 4 can be populated?

Yes, they can!

Went ahead and bought one of these for one of my office PCs and also got a i5-10400 which I’m still waiting on. I was finding some similar that already had the i5 processor in it but I think the money works out better doing it myself ($170+$180 plus tax) especially since I was going to need inside anyway to mount a ssd. I was real tempted to get a NVME m.2 but I’m just going to use a SSD I already have. In real world I don’t know that you would ever notice the difference.

A couple observations as I found my unit in…

the rear expansion slot clip thingy was bent up pretty badly but other than that the pc seems to be in great condition…haven’t found any scratches in it. Seller=VIPOUTLET

The interior has a weird smell like maybe someone let the smoke out before and it really is a refurb.

The sata and power connections seem tight as all get out…It took me a bit to get the cd-rom to let go but didnt want to get too forceful with it.

Overall it does seem a lot easier getting in and out of the case, I always thought the HP 290 was a bit of a fight working with it.

I took my boot drive out of a HP 600 G4 running Windows 10 Pro, I had just set it up the other day on the latest release as a fresh install and used Chris Titus Tech’s script to debloat it. I was curious if this S01 would give too much of a argument since it’s supposedly a Windows 10 Home edition machine. It hasn’t gave any static so far though.

I’m going to be retiring the old office pc Skylake system to ebay…I thought about making it a Unraid box but I’m not sure it’s much of a justifiable upgrade getting a i7-6700 or 7700 over sticking with the E3-1240 v3. If those i7s would come down in price I might think about it if it’s any kind of power savings to speak of.

So for a PMS / quicksync box, I could just throw an NVME in here for boot and plex files and a big HDD. Grab an HDMI plug for the back and let her rip?

Edit and 8GB of ram

Yes to the NVMe drive for the OS, the HDMI dummy plug and 8GB of RAM, but the big hard drive is optional. If you want local storage then yes you can add a large spinner, but if you already have your media on a NAS there’s no need for a ton of local storage.

In lieu of me going to a 10400 (when it arrives)

In terms of power consumption…If I were to buy a LGA1200 board, pop in the G5900 would I see similar watt usage? (PFSENSE)

Right now I’ve got the kill-a-watt on the S01-pf1013w and it’s hovering around 11 watts while in use.

I suspect a lot of that is also related to the power supply so your garden variety atx Corsair 450 watt power supply is probably not going to be nearly as efficient as what comes in these sff HP’s. Also I understand other components fall into that as well…such as NICs, hard drives, board design.

I think my current pfsense (i3-6100t) consumes around 35 watts on average. I can’t remember for sure. I know I was hoping for better at the time. I think I tried it with multiple operating systems before going to pfSense and it got similar results. My rationale there was free BSD’s power management or lack thereof but that turned out to not be the case.

Anyway that thought was on my mind but if these motherboards continue to be stupid high…I will probably just list the G5900 and get back some of my money on upgrading to a 10400.

Edit: that 10400 really woke up that little PC and yes it still idles around 7 to 11 watts.

I would like to have 4+ HDDs there. Any idea how to fit it in that case or do I have to have it outside of the case?

4+ 2.5’s are possible with enough tape.

4+ 3.5’s is impossible

1 Like

This seems like a good box for VMs but I have a few questions if anyone can help please.

Wondering if I could add a GPU AND nic (perhaps 10G / Dual 1GE).

Thank You and THANK YOU @JDM_WAAAT you have been very very generous with your threads and information.

1 Like

It’s unlikely that you can add both, unless you find a single slot GPU.

Also, x1 PCIe will not have enough bandwidth for 10Gb, but will manage a few 1Gb ports just fine.

1 Like

Thanks Again @JDM_WAAAT :+1:

I still have an extra 290 (for but I wanted a VM box that is fairly recent and this fits the bill perfectly. Going to pick one up, slap in a i5-10xxx with 16GB / 32GB, for VMs.

1 Like

That should be fun. Share some details with us when you get it set up!

1 Like

Great thread. Anyone using one of these with ATT Fiber 1000?

Thinking about replacing my R210 II with something smaller that generates less heat.

You should definitely replace your R210. These will work great with Gig fiber.

1 Like