[Official] HP ProDesk 400 G4 SFF Owner's Thread

Still available, only 9 more left…

gone christmas GIF

Hey @JDM_WAAAT just a heads up that the PCIe config appears to be x16 + x4 both electrical and physical based on the box I just got. Might vary by form factor/exact model # though

They’re back available, FYI. Sent in my offer.

1 Like

Updated link for reference

Would something like this work well for a blue iris machine or should I try to get an i5/i7 machine?

It would work OK for a lower end system, but an i5 would be more ideal. Typically you can get an i5-4570 system for around $110-$150.

Yeah those were what I was looking at. Just like the smaller footprint of this. Thanks!

1 Like

The older SFF options are about the same size as this one.

Ahh for some reason I was thinking these were smaller. Well then older sff it is.

Got my Prodesk yesterday and got some initial setup done (NVME, install Ubuntu). Pulls all of 9 watts at idle, without any tweaks.

1 Like

New link I think:

1 Like

This looks decent @ $99

Edit: seller accepted $90.

Mine came in this weekend. Got one for transcoding (just have to find the time to go set it up) and wound up using the second to run Sims for my daughter. Windows setup found a Windows 10 Pro key assigned to the motherboard - not bad for that use.

Both machines rattled when I got them. There were some drive screws that got taped together rattling around in the bottom of the case. After taking the drive cage out the screws were easy to retrieve, and the rest of the physical work didn’t take long.

I guess when I get time to play with pfsense I’m likely to pick up another one and a NIC…

1 Like

4th gen QuickSync will have much lower quality video. May be fine for other uses though.

Yeah, in the context of a Blue Iris NVR, 4th-gen quicksync is totally fine. The extra CPU horsepower from the i5 is much more important.

Ordered the ProDesk 400 G4! A 256GB M.2 SSD should be sufficient? I’m planning to run Ubuntu on it, I have say about 10TB of media in my plex library…

Yep, so long as you’re not doing preview thumbnails, that size should be good.

thanks!

I’m looking to get one of these to replace my Plex server, and I have some novice questions:

1. How do I decide which linux operating system to use?

2. Would the Plex database reside on the Prodesk, or on my NAS?

3. If the database is on the Prodesk, do I need to worry about backing it up? If so, what’s the best way to do that?

1 Like